Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

Hiking at Fort Snelling State Park – Saturday, April 15th

Home Forums Events Hiking at Fort Snelling State Park – Saturday, April 15th

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    What: Hiking
    Where: Fort Snelling State Park
    When: Saturday, April 15th at 1PM
    Who: Anyone interested in hiking, no experience needed

The next outing I’m running is going to be a simple one. We’ll hike Pike Island at Fort Snelling State Park on Saturday, April 15th. This is an easy 3 mile hike that is great for beginners. If you haven’t really done much hiking in the past and would like to give it a try before we start going on longer or more remote hikes, this is a good time to go. Aside from getting a small taste of what hiking is all about, you will be able to talk with experienced hikers who can give you some useful knowledge and tips.

We’ll meet at the fire ring outside of the visitor center at 1PM. The hike should take about an hour. Usually parking isn’t too bad, but the first few weekends with good weather have a tendency to be really busy and you might have to search a little for parking. I recommend bringing some water with you and a rain jacket if it’s raining.

Just like all other state parks, you need to have a vehicle permit to enter the park. Annual permits are still being sold for $25, but this is going to be going up to $30 in the near future. You may also get a $5 day pass which can be applied towards an annual pass later on.

For those of you that use public transportation, there is a bus stop at Fort Snelling. There is a half-mile trail that goes from this bus stop down to the visitor center. Of course, if you take the bus you don’t need a permit. Here’s some links to the maps for this particular bus stop.
    http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/destinations/state_parks/fort_snelling/bus_stop_to_snelling.pdf
    https://www.metrotransit.org/Data/Sites/1/media/pdfs/Schedules/RouteMaps/36/007Map.pdf

#47553 Quote
    I might try to make this my first St. Paul meet. This opportunity would give me a chance to meet a few of the locals and since the a-line runs right in front of TCU it makes it just perfect.
    • This reply was modified 7 years ago by -_-.
    #47601 Quote
    I was hoping the bus info would be useful to some people. I’m going to try to include that anytime I have an event inside the metro. Hope to see you there!
    #47641 Quote
    Well I can do this. But, there is one thing. People don’t need but buy a state park pass to attend this one. All one needs to do for this one is park at Historic Fort Snelling and walk down the hill side. If you want to changing the meeting place to the Fort Snelling Historic Site Obelisk / ugly concrete pillar. Then there shouldn’t be an issue, also more parking. This also makes light rail a possibility as well. As for your map, that is a bit of a long way around. There are some steeps right behind the visitor center that cuts a fair amount of distance getting there.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Incog.

I'm just a Hodgepodge.

#47660 Quote
    The map is the route provided by the park. Since I’ve never visited both locations on the same day, I’ve never needed to make that particular trip so I have no first-hand knowledge regarding it. People are of course able to take whichever route they prefer.

As for skipping out on the permit fee by parking at the historic site, I discourage that for two reasons.

1. The permit fees pay for the maintenance and improvement of the parks, as well as the operation of the park. If you use the parks, you really should help pay for the parks. (This is similar to donations at MNFurs events to help cover the costs.) If you won’t be going to any other events held at a state park this year, it’s just $5 for a single day pass.
    2. For anyone that is going to any other events at state parks, the rates are going up this year for the permits. This may be one of your last opportunities to get the current rate. We have events being planned in state parks covering at least seven days over the next year so I promise you’ll get full use out of that permit even if you don’t go to all of the events.

I feel very strongly about supporting the parks as they are one of our state’s most valuable resources, but at the end of the day it is up to you. If you don’t want to pay the fee and park at the historic site, that is your choice to make. Regardless of which location you chose to park at, we’re still going to meet down by the visitor center. I know there are already plenty of people with a park permit, and you’ll be going past the visitor center anyways, so there really isn’t any need to move the meeting location.

#47815 Quote
    Just a reminder that the hike at Fort Snelling is this Saturday. The trails have dried out from the winter and mud should be minimal.

There is currently a slight chance of rain. We’ll hike even if it’s raining, so you may want to bring rain gear along.

#47840 Quote
    Cool, this fits into my schedule and I’m pretty close to the state park. I just put in on my calendar to encourage myself to join. I noticed this isn’t listed on the Calendar & Events tab. I’m glad you posted a reminder so I saw this is something I can do.
    #47841 Quote
    Getting events into the calendar is just too much of a hassle. It’s far simpler to just bump the thread occasionally and hope people see it.

See you there!

#47861 Quote
    A quick question/update. Because of weather, is there still the plan to meet up today?
    #47862 Quote
    Yep, we still hike even if it’s raining. There should be a break in the rain around the time of the hike, but if you have rain gear you should bring it anyways.

If you have waterproof footwear or something you don’t mind getting wet you should bring that too. Otherwise I recommend bringing a second pair of shoes and dry socks to change into after the hike. With the amount of rain we’ve gotten so far there’s going to be some mud.

This also comes down to personal preference. Some people, such as myself, actually enjoy hiking in the rain as it has a unique atmosphere to it. If you know you don’t like hiking when you’re going to get wet it’s ok to skip this one. I have another hike planned in three weeks, which I’ll be announcing later today.

#47863 Quote
    That’s fine, i just wanted to double check. Thank you. I plan to be there along with SnowJay.
    #47864 Quote
    A sensible thing to do. See you there!
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.