Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

Matt "Aerak" Hibbard

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Tell us about yourself

My name is Matt but most people know me by my fur name, Aerak. I have been active in the furry fandom for 11 years, and have been a volunteer / event organizer for 8 of them. I helped with forming the bi-laws on which this organization was founded and was elected to the first MNFurs Board where I served as Vice President. One of the first projects I took on was organizing a monthly “community meeting”. Our bi-laws and articles of incorporation demanded one community forum per year (like most other nonprofits). I didn’t think this was enough. I also set the foundation for the Events department which to this day, aids in helping members of our community run unique and fun events. I have helped in the creation of a scholarship program for our members which we will be rolling out in the not too distant future. Last year I became the group’s President and have since spoken on behalf of our organization both to City Pages and to Star Tribune. Outside of the board, I help run Furry Migration. When I’m not helping directly with the local community, I enjoy Pathfinder / D&D, performing, and costume making.

Why do you wish to sit on the MNFurs board?

I want to be re-elected because I believe I have done a good job in representing this community. I am responsible, and I am calm and collected in the face of a crisis. I’m a diplomat; I listen to people and do my best to represent them. Most importantly, I wish to serve because I love it. I’m passionate about the work I’ve done and for continuing the work. MNFurs is a diamond in a sea of zircons. We are one of the best communities you will find anywhere.

How will you continue to volunteer in the community after being elected to the board?

I do what needs to be done. During the last 12 months, I have put in well over 200 hours of service to this community – about 60 of those hours coming from the Furry Migration hotel introduction video. In the coming year, I’m excited to help out with more videos promoting the convention and our theme for this year, “Back to Migration”. I will continue to head FM’s Hotel Department and work directly with FM staff and the Hyatt staff to make this convention a success (and work with our con chair and hotel to revamp the sponsor bunch). I’m going to be running at least one event in the summer, and I’m certain to help with Como Zoo Boo in the fall.

What brought you to the furry fandom?

In a word, Anime. I was visiting a fan website for the show, Trigun, and in their forum there was a furry artist with a link back to FurNation. Around that time I started growing apart from my high school friends and decided to give the local fur group a try. I went to one of the Perkins meets – then only 12 members! – and I loved it. I’ve been here ever since.

Who/What is your inspiration in life?

That’s a big question. We could fill a novel on this question alone. I don’t have a singular inspiration. My latest inspiration was the Chlorine Gas attack at Midwest Furfest – or I should say, my inspiration was our communities response to it. I was inspired that day by all the fursuiters, who hugged those of us without jackets and kept us warm in the freezing cold. I’m thankful to Orion-J on FA that night who was in his leopard/wolf hybrid fursuit and kept me from becoming a wolfsicle. I was inspired by MWFF’s staff for keeping calm and getting us shuffled in the convention center across the street from the hotel. I’m inspired by my fellow board members – we went around and found people from our local community, and we made sure everyone was okay. We stayed calm. People from within our community also stepped forward in that instance. In that convention center, leaders from every community emerged. They didn’t all sit on a board, but they were easily identifiable as in control and providing comfort and reassurance. And I watched all of this and did my part, and I had so much pride to be with so many great people.

Another big source of my inspiration is my boyfriend of eight years, Alkora, who has struggled with some serious medical conditions over the years. He could have given up at any point. But he didn’t. He pushed on. And even though life isn’t always easy for him and it’s doubtful he’ll be around as long as I am, he lives every day to it’s fullest. He’s overcome so much. It’s this drive to live and to excel that I find so inspirational.

Being elected to the MNFurs board makes you a public figure. How will you adapt to that?

I think it’s a little late to worry about that. =P

What message do you have for the MNFurs community?

No matter who sits on the board, the most important part of our community is YOU. You make this community one of the best in the world. But there’s still so much more we can do. I urge everyone to volunteer; not specifically for MNFurs (though if you want to that’d be amazing!) but any non-profit. Especially in this day in age, where everyone has at least a little “geek” in them, we are all connected. Even those not in the furry fandom – it’s a different dance but many of the steps are the same. You would be amazed how many great people you will meet and have fulfilling it is.

Thank you for being so awesome!

Furry Migration Staff (programing & help desk)

Come say hi on the MNFurs Discord!

Posts on the MNFurs forums are of my own opinion and do not reflect that of MNFurs or chartered events unless otherwise stated.

#29614 Quote
    Aerak,

Thank you for the time you spent and continue to spend serving this community. You know me well enough by now to know that i will play my queens all the way down river against you with a smile, and your good enough to keep a pair of kings for just such an occasion. thanks for answering my questions.

If i may offer, The very best answer this entire election was yours. (Third one taped debate)in my opinion, and I literally was no longer thinking about the outcome of this election but rather hoping your political career is not limited to this board or this community. I cant stand politicians, but ambassadors… That i can tolerate. Please continue to lead.

-Cence

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Cencewolf.
    #29624 Quote
    Thanks, Cence! That means a lot coming from a no-nonsense wolf like you. Don’t expect to let me win at poker though =P.

Speaking of, sounds like Jade, Pat (kitsunekla) and I might try to get a game started at the next furmeet. You are welcome to join us for a few hands if you have time. =)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.