Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

Upcoming Outdoor Adventure Events

Home Forums Events Upcoming Outdoor Adventure Events

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    I had a qestion about the sept 24th event, being an owner of two Kayaks this event looks more then fun, but what are the plans for pouting in? I am asking since saying the highway is a little veg, did you mean from Taylor Falls, or some were near there? Also what are plans for getting people back too there cars?

#47980 Quote
    For the Archery, I’m not personally looking for a whole training event with a fee. I did online videos and DIY because there is enough as a beginner to understand how to shoot, give it a try, and learn if Archery is something I’d want to continue with. Although with a training course, I’m sure that’d provided the experience as well and, as you pointed out, reduce hassle about supplies foremost. Just giving my opinions.

For Disc Golf, that would be interesting as well! I own 3 (or 4) discs, all drivers I think, but if people are trying out disc golf casually, it’s really easy to share discs and worry less about needing a variety of types. If you understand throwing a frisbee, you can just play around throwing a disc in my casual experience.

#47981 Quote
    I have done a lot with teaching archery. Primarily with traditional bows. If people want to learn to make a bow or arrows, I can teach
    #47982 Quote

I had a qestion about the sept 24th event, being an owner of two Kayaks this event looks more then fun, but what are the plans for pouting in? I am asking since saying the highway is a little veg, did you mean from Taylor Falls, or some were near there? Also what are plans for getting people back too there cars?

Put in at Interstate State Park and land at William O’Brien State Park. For the average person it’s an 8 hour trip, and about as far as most people can handle for a single trip. It is one of the most scenic river trips in the state, with both impressive rock formations and if we’re lucky fall foliage. I first made this trip two years ago, but it’s now something I do every year.

As for the cars, the best way to deal with that is enlist the help of somebody who isn’t going boating with the group. You drop the boats off at Interstate and drive down to William O’Brien to park. Then the person not going on the trip drives everybody back up to Interstate and then goes home. It’s polite to compensate that person for their time and gas expense in some way.

Otherwise, there is a canoe and kayak outfitter at Interstate State Park. In addition to providing boat rentals, I have heard they will provide a shuttle service similar to what I previously described. You park at William O’Brien and they pick you and your boat up. I haven’t needed to use that service before, so I don’t know the specifics and costs, but I do know they have limited hours after Labor Day.

There is an option for a half length trip in the event people want something shorter. Both can be done together with the people wanting the shorter trip just parking at a different boat landing.

For the Archery, I’m not personally looking for a whole training event with a fee. I did online videos and DIY because there is enough as a beginner to understand how to shoot, give it a try, and learn if Archery is something I’d want to continue with. Although with a training course, I’m sure that’d provided the experience as well and, as you pointed out, reduce hassle about supplies foremost. Just giving my opinions.

I want these events open to everyone who may be interested, and more skill involved activities require a training event for that. The teaching part isn’t so much of an issue, I believe you guys can do that, but it looks like equipping people is most likely going to cost them money. I would prefer they pay to try out proper fitting equipment for the introductory experience so that they don’t have a bad experience just because the equipment wasn’t right for them. They can then decide if they want to invest in the activity after that.

This could be a moot point though, because if there are no unexperienced people interested in trying it out then there is no need for a training event. Further archery events will likely be focused towards people who already have some experience, and I will be handing that off as it sounds like there are people who can handle that.

#48026 Quote

I wanted to chime in on the archery discussion again.

ive got 8 recurve bows (one left hand) and 3 compound bows i can loan, as well as dozens of arrows. i dont mind loaning at all as long as i get compensated for lost arrows.

I dont think the idea of an archery class is a bad idea, but keep in mind that the different forms of archery are fairly different and not nessisarily compatable, so learning to shoot a compound with sights and a release isnt going to help you much if you want to shoot instinctively with a recurve. an archery shop will most likely set u up with the former setup and tell you that the other is too hard and not worth the time. in my experience, people have more fun learning to shoot instinctively and it also allows you to do things like shoot moving areal and ground targets which is allot of fun. id say people intrested in archery should eventually try all different forms but starting out with the simpler gear is nice imo.

as far as ranges, i like the calhoon range because it has a large earth bank behind the targets that (mostly) keeps arrows from getting lost. at any range without this feature begenners inevitably loose multiple arrows. also it has a large field and if there is no one else using the range, this can be used for areal shooting which id highly recomend (using special arrows with many big feathers that dont go far). id suggest a week day if possible as.its less buisy, and a time.when it hasnt rained for a while because it can get quite swampy.

as far as homade gear im all.for it and am working on some stuff myself. i might be able to host a workshop in my shop later in the fall or winter. currently working on making some self bows out of hickory lumber. again here the problem is the arrows, difficult to make consistant arrows.

ive also incorperated other primitive projectile weapons into my archery groups and this can be fun and intresting too

i was thinking of coming to the picnic and think this would be a good place to meet and discuss things.

#48034 Quote
    I’m trying to get a scheduling issue worked out through work, but I’m planning on being at the picnic. I have a few things I’m doing at the picnic, one of which will be collecting information related to interests in outdoor activities. That should provide insight on what is the best way to approach many of these events. I’m also hoping to establish some better communication channels.

We’ll be able to talk at the picnic. The only point I can really address at this time is the suggestion to use the range at Lake Calhoun. That park has some accessibility issues for our group. Parking can be a bit of an issue, but the bigger problem is just people getting there. Using myself as an example, on a weekday I would have an hour and a half commute just to reach the park. Traffic is simply terrible getting to that park. People in the west metro can probably make it to that park, but people in the east metro really can’t. This isn’t an issue unique to Lake Calhoun, but it is more pronounced.

#48036 Quote

id certanly be up for a different range if theres one that has those features and is more accessable. my experience with begenners is that they miss the bale frequently and that means lost arrows more often than not. At the calhoon range i always park on william berry parkway, which has quite a few spots that are rarely taken.

https://goo.gl/maps/S27TXtfjovH2

as far as traffic yes it can be terrible, id suggest starting after rush hour is finished (11am mabey?) and ending before it starts again.

If it turns out that another range is the best option, id suggest one with full sized bales (about 3×5′). one solution, if there is no one else at the range is to get close enough to more or less guarntee hits.

whem ive done groups people really love the areal shooting part, its many peoples favorite part by far, so itd be a shame not to be able to include that if there isnt a large enough field or if the range is too buisy.

#48040 Quote
    Midday on a week day is not a good time to run events, most people are going to be unavailable. I take time off since everyday is a potential workday for me, but most people won’t do that.

If losing arrows is a concern, then an indoor range is a solution. You can’t lose arrows there. The other solution is to have people bring their own arrows instead. A good enough arrow for beginners can be bought for $2-$3 each. But by that point you may as well rent the equipment as it is more cost effective for people not sure about investing in the sport yet.

#48294 Quote
    Just posting a quick update on future plans.

We’ll do disc golf in July. I know some people who do a lot of disc golfing and have gotten a couple recommendations from them for locations.

I didn’t get much of a response for archery at the picnic, so we won’t worry about the lessons. We’ll just have a small archery event in August. For the few people looking to try it out, I’ll give them a link to buy some cheap arrows and we’ll just use the bows people are willing to share. I’ll pick a range a little bit later, but it’s going to be one that doesn’t have any access costs.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.