Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

Almost done with my suit! BUT…I have little idea on what to expect

Home Forums General Discussions Fursuiting Almost done with my suit! BUT…I have little idea on what to expect

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    So, I’m almost done with my suit, and I’m planning to upload pictures, but the only problem is that I don’t have a very clear idea of what to expect when fursuiting. Help or tips would be appreciated!

Carry on my wayward son, they'll be peace when you are done...

#29340 Quote

Biggest thing is finding out your limits when suiting… if you’re doing a full suit (or even a partial) I HIGHLY recommend investing in some underarmour and a balaclava (ski mask type hood) to help wick away moisture as suiting becomes very hot, very fast.

Keep in mind to keep animated when suiting. Just having a suit alone doesn’t make someone a good suiter. Being able to pop poses for the camera, do things when on video, etc is a big thing and will get you more recognized as a suiter more than simply having a suit. Do not be a statue!

Also DO NOT, whatever you do, suit in a public location without permission.. public parks are generally ok, but stores and especially restaurants often frown upon people with masks.. and suiting in a restaurant is considered a health code hazard (who wants fur in their food?) And when you are in public, have a handler (someone to be your voice to people and/or take pics for you as well as be your eyes and ears at times) it helps immensely for a first-timer especially.

And imo a huge pet peeve of mine in public is never EVER take your head off around people, particularly kids. It just looks bad from a performer standpoint to ruin the magic like that for anyone. Always know where you can retreat to do this. Only exception is if you begin to completely overheat. Even then, I still try to duck out of the way of people if this happens.

Of course, the thing in general is have fun… if you’re having fun, it reflects on your performance even if people can’t see your face. Wish you luck with your first time.

#29341 Quote
    Thanks so much! That helps a ton! I totally agree with you on the whole, “Don’t take your head off” thing. I was in the cities for a weekend and there were some suiters downtown, my initial reaction was to of course ask for a hug and interact and it was great! I also had some of my younger siblings who had a blast, except as we were walking away they took their heads off and kinda wrecked for my youngest sister

Carry on my wayward son, they'll be peace when you are done...

#29342 Quote
    I would just get used to suiting in controlled situations first before doing the outdoors/public thing. Smaller events like picnics and little gatherings within’ the community should help you develop as a suiter a bit.  Developing your character is just something that either happens or doesn’t when you don the suit too… some people have very subtle changes in personality, others go a bit more drastic.  For me, it’s a bit of an exaggeration of me that gets away with a lot more stuff than I normally do, but I don’t do anything too crazy. Being aware of any physical limits is a good thing =)
    #29351 Quote
    I agree with a lot of Innouva advice but here are an additional few things.

1) Make sure you drink plenty of liquids before you suit. You will sweat most of the time in suit even on cold days. Keeping hydrated is good.

2) Keep yourself clean – it helps keep the suit clean.

3) Clean and brush your suit. I can’t tell you how much just brushing a suit with a brush will keep it looking nice. I recommend using one with plastic bristles and knobs on the end you don’t want to pull the fur out of the suit. Cleaning is important as well. Having a clean suit is good. I use no dye, non scented woolite in a cold water bath tub to wash my suit and dry it with a drying rack/hanger. It takes longer but it keeps your suit in better shape too.

Take it easy – learn your limits – and enjoy yourself.

Member of Minnesota Furs a 501c3 Non Profit, former Convention Chairman for Furry Migration, volunteer, and always doings lots of other stuff.

Feel free to ask questions because I'm here for you!
    Kurst "YipYap" Hyperyote

#29355 Quote
    There is already a lot of great information here. The one thing I will add is to work on your pantomiming in front of a mirror. There are lots of different emotions and ideas you can convey without the use of words – which for fursuiting is a huge thing since generally speaking you want to avoid talking. If you have a moving jaw on your fursuit head you -can- talk, but whether or not your jaw can move, you have to be careful because it’s one of those things where unless it’s done properly you can ruin the magic.

That’s all I can add. Innouva and Kurst did a pretty thorough job with their advice. =)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.