Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

Curious about Whistles and Squeakers

Home Forums General Discussions Fursuiting Curious about Whistles and Squeakers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Does anyone have experience with the types of whistles and squeakers people install into fursuits and what noises they are capable of making?

I thought it would be a cute addition to a future fursuit if I had the ability to make a whimper sound. However, I am not sure where to start or look. I would imagine a whistle would work best but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience, advice, links, etc for this idea.

Any advice or ideas for this are greatly appreciated.

Furry Migration Volunteers Department Co-Head

#36911 Quote
    How does telephone do it?
    #36927 Quote
    Hmm for a whimper I’d personally just make the sound myself. I’ve heard things make a sound close to that (water bottles we got from Lifeproof) but not on purpose. Only other solution I could think of would be an electronic sound board.

"The problem is not that there are too many idiots in the world, the problem is the distribution of lightning."
    - Mark Twain

#36928 Quote
    Whimper sounds are easy enough to do with one’s own vocals. Frankly I find squeakers to be extremely overplayed nowadays and often very annoying. I know a fair number of people agree. It’s fine if done in moderation but if you insist on having a squeaker, please don’t go crazy with it.
    #36933 Quote
    I agree.  You almost have to treat it like an instrument which Telephone, from the few videos I’ve seen, excels at.

The problem with a whimper is there’s usually some inflection and difference in tone which a whistle or squeaker can’t reproduce.  I think of  a squeaky hinge as being able to reproduce the sound but that’s with controlling the speed to change the tone.

If your setup is such that you can’t easily use your own voice, I’d say some sort of speaker setup is going to be your best bet.  As long as all you want to do is high pitched sounds you can get away with small cheap speakers and have good sound.  If you want to start adding in growls or purrs, you’re gonna need something that outputs some bass in which case:

Good, small, cheap.  Pick any 2.

"The problem is not that there are too many idiots in the world, the problem is the distribution of lightning."
    - Mark Twain

#36945 Quote
    To Innouva:

The whimper sound would only be used in moderation at most.

To Snow:

The squeaker or whistle would be treated as an instrument and used infrequently. I could see a speaker being potentially useful. The advantage of such is that I wouldn’t need to use an item in my mouth to create the sound.

I’m not sure that my voice is able to produce a sufficient whimper because my voice is so deep. Maybe I will try to whimper with my voice at a future event when the suit is finished and see if people think it’s ok.

Again, this was an idea for the far future. At this point the head I’m making has a static jaw and no place for a whistle or squeaker.

To both, thanks for the ideas. Arf!

Furry Migration Volunteers Department Co-Head

#36946 Quote
    How about a mic hook up to moderated speaker
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.