Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

MNFurs Book Club – Fantasy Novel Reviews

Home Forums General Discussions Writing MNFurs Book Club – Fantasy Novel Reviews

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Hello fellow MNFurs!

It occurs to me that there are a lot of us here with a passion for reading! It’s my hope that we can get multiple forum threads for every genre of interest. I’m starting with fantasy, because that is my niche.

This thread is for all of us who enjoy fantasy novels. Fantasy covers a lot of ground and all is welcome here. If you have a book you would like to review, please share! (no spoilers please) Do you have a favorite author? Tell us about them!

So go ahead and post and tell us what we are missing!

#22052 Quote
    Since I started this thread, I will get the ball rolling! (unless someone beats me to it!)

Today I am reviewing the fantasy author, Robin Hobb, and more specifically her “Liveship Traders” book series.

First, a bit about what you can expect from this author. Robin Hobb is one of the best world builders you will find in fantasy. If you are looking for elaborately detailed fantasy worlds with politics and intrigue you have come to the right place. But more than world building, Robin Hobb is the best character builder I have ever found. She creates characters almost to a fault – that fault being that usually the first hundred pages of her novels are a slow paced read where you find out all about character backgrounds and subtle bits of information revolving around what makes them tick. Robin realizes that each person is a sum of their experiences, and the characters actively grow and change throughout her novels. In this regard, she truly shines.

In Ship of Magic, Book 1 of The Liveship Traders, we follow the character Althea Vestrit as she comes of age and tries to take command of her family’s trading vessel, the Vivacia. In this world, there are normal ships but there are also “Live Ships” that are made out of some sort of mystery substance called “wizard wood”. After many generations, the wood “Quickens”, and the figure head of the vessel comes alive, born out of the memories of many of the ship’s past captains. Unfortunately, Althea doesn’t get command – her brother in law, who is kind of a douche (is that a proper literary term?), takes command of the ship with her family’s blessing and then decides to trade in something rather dangerous and immoral. Althea is forced to grow up and do everything in her power to catch her ship and reclaim her.

At the sametime, we also follow a pirate captain named Kennit, who has a dream of uniting all of the pirate isles under one flag – his. His exterior persona is one, Robin Hood of the High Seas, however his internal motives and reasoning is about as selfish and downright ruthless as you can get. But before he can gain a following, he plans to do something to set himself apart from the lesser pirates. He plots to capture a liveship of his own and bend it to his will.

This book is about characters. The first hundred pages quite literally is a drag, where you question, what is the point? Why do I care? Why does this matter? It sets up the back story and shows how much of a douche the main character’s brother in law is, establishes the settings and lesser characters, and then finally when you think you can’t take the tedium any longer – finally gets under way. The book picks up speed around 200 pages in, and if you can make it to 300 you will be hooked.

Ship of Magic is just under 800 pages. It is followed by Mad Ship, the 2nd novel in the series, and Ship of Destiny, the 3rd.

Pacing (1 being an encyclopedia, 10 being an action movie): 6
    Hobb’s books are never full steam ahead, but aside from the first 100 pages in any first book of a series, they aren’t a crawl.

World Building: 10
    The main setting of the book is the trading, frontier city of Bingtown. We also have the mysterious rainwilds, which only liveships can venture and is the source of wizard wood. And we have two nations fighting for control of it all. The level of politics involved isn’t quite Game of Thrones or House of Cards, but it’s close.

Character Building: 10
    As I’ve said, Robin Hobbs excels at this. Tolkien and GRRM are right up there with her.

Scope of Story: 9
    The world and overall story has many revelations throughout the 3 book series. Like a good D&D or Pathfinder campaign, we start with a small scope and continually expand it as the characters level up

Overall: 8
    Hobb’s books might not be the best you’ll ever read, but hers are books that you will always find comfort in losing yourself in.

(Next I tag, Kitsunekla. Put yourself and your huge fantasy book collection to good use, and post! =P)

• This reply was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by Aerak.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by Aerak. Reason: Editted multiple times for word slop - mispellings and other grammar issues
    #22058 Quote
    Robin Hobb is my favorite author but I still haven’t got to the live ship trilogy. It’s an interesting experience because most of her works build from that series so I ends up picking things up from the characters mentioning the world’s history.  I just finished her rainwilds (dragons!) series and thoroughly enjoyed it.  A personal point of enjoyment was there being gay main characters.

Right now I’m reading The Black Prism by Brent Weeks.  I’m too early in to give it judgement but it’s got my attention so far.  I am big fan of the author’s first trilogy (Night Angel series).

#22174 Quote
    Today I am reviewing Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson.

For those who do not know, Sanderson is well known for his Mistborn series of novels, as well as being the successor to Robert Jordan on his Wheel of Time book series. His stories often involve grand scopes, and startling revelations. Sanderson’s plots are amongst the best you will find in the fantasy genre. The only negative to this author is that his character backstories are weak, especially in comparison to writers like Robin Hobb. However, this is just a small detractor when you take into account his strengths.

Steelheart is the best anti-hero movie never made. The basis of the story is that something happens that turns people into superhuman beings, which in this story are known as “epics”. The main difference with this story that sets it apart from other superhero stories is that this book poses the question: What if power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely? In effect: There are no super heroes – only super villians.

This book begins in 5th gear and doesn’t slow down at all the entire novel. It could very easily (EFFORTLESSLY) be transformed into a script for an action/fantasy movie capable of curb stomping Marvel’s The Avengers. Lets break things down:

Character Development:
    There is very little time for learning backgrounds of the characters. Usually this is a detriment but this book reads so quickly and is so suspenseful that it isn’t really missed.

Plot and Originality:
    The superhero genre is huge, and books (many of which I refuse to read) are plentiful. However, this is a completely unique premise and completely original.

Lasting Impression:
    This book is not the greatest literature you will ever read. I cannot tell you it is the most fulfilling novel in existence, but I can tell you that it will hook you and keep you interested and entertained the entire way through. I can also tell you that the conflict resolution at the end will have you thinking for a very long time.

If you get the chance and can find this book, buy it immediately!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by Aerak.
    #22483 Quote
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks

I finished The Black Prism and I can’t wait to dig into the series more. Book 2 is out already, book 3 is out this year, but the finale won’t be until 2016.

Brent Weeks became an instant favorite of mine after his debut with the Night Angel trilogy. One book in this series proves that was not a fluke, he is a truly talented writer. He works with the standard fantasy tropes but then subverts them. Brent is not afraid to have a character fail or die if that’s what seems what should happen in the story he set in motion. He does it so well that it feels like it’s the only natural path the story could have taken.

I’m not much for in depth reviews so suffice to say this book both successfully built a world the characters live in and rounded out the characters it focused on. I want to know where the path is taking those characters and trust the writer enough to expect it will be somewhere exhilarating.

After Robin Hobb and Brandon Sanderson Brent Weeks is my favorite author. I highly recommend this book/series as well as his Debut trilogy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.