Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

Summer Plans – Regular Picnic Meets?

Home Forums Events Summer Plans – Regular Picnic Meets?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    So something I’ve been thinking about for a while has come up, and I’d love to hear community feedback on this.

I’ve wanted for a while to have more regular meets in open air in summer – and to that extent I’m thinking of doing on non-meet weekends where the weather is nice, having little picnic meetups at parks. This would likely be on the east side of the Cities (more my stomping grounds) and a chance for everyone to bring some sandwiches or snacks, hang out, play some frisbee and just enjoy summer.

Is this something people would be interested in? I’m definitely going to be doing two when the weather turns nice to ‘try it out’, but is there interest in it being more long term?

#29126 Quote
    That sounds awesome!

I’d much rather be outside than cooped up in Perkins or Caribou, if the weather is nice. You can definitely expect me to be there if my schedule allows it 🙂

I'm not crazy, I'm just... Okay, yeah maybe I'm a little nuts.

#29127 Quote
    Sounds like fun! Any chance some could be in the Eagan area — I know that area better than by you, Ridayah?

Amethyst

Help me remember that nothing is going to happen to me today that You and I together cannot handle!

#29128 Quote
    My long-term desire with this is that people in other parts of the cities would take it upon themselves to find a park and volunteer to be there for one or two in the summer, so it could spread around! I just don’t have the means to go find places. And this would make it a community-driven event meetup, which I think would be great! So if you know of a good park and are willing to be the host one afternoon…. well then!
    #29129 Quote
    Unfortunately, I don’t live in the area, so I really can’t help organize these 🙁

I'm not crazy, I'm just... Okay, yeah maybe I'm a little nuts.

#29130 Quote
    I know this type of idea works well for other furgroups. Usually for them picnics are not a big affair it’s more like their normal furgroup gathering.

But most of those groups also don’t reserved like we traditionally do with our big picnic events so a lot of times the picnic is cancelled since well there is no where to go or it’s a small spot.

So would this be more “reserve a space” or meet in the park and if there is space to sit around cool otherwise just move around and have fun?

Member of Minnesota Furs a 501c3 Non Profit, former Convention Chairman for Furry Migration, volunteer, and always doings lots of other stuff.

Feel free to ask questions because I'm here for you!
    Kurst "YipYap" Hyperyote

#29138 Quote
    This sounds like it would be a lot of fun! I’d definitely try to make time for some of these events if they were to happen. Personally, I think just meeting at a park without prior “reservation” would work out nice. I’m not sure if anyone is familiar with these areas or not, but Lake Harriet and Minnehaha Falls are two places that come to mind when I think of fun, park-like meet up spots.
    #29140 Quote
    I remember speaking with out about this on Saturday…It will also be a good idea to specify that these are not like our traditional big picnics…I bring this up because I could see some others outside the metro and in the neighboring states getting confused by little picnics versus the big ones.  See what I am getting at?

I do like this idea and the fact that different community members around the metro can volunteer to take charge…This will be nice to offer a variety.

What will be very interesting to see is if, over time, these become a big event…If they do, then further discussions will need to be had.

~ Drake M.

T H €  B | Z   F [] X

RETIRING JUNE 2024

MNFurs Events Department Co-Head - Events are the main driving factors of the organization.  Have an event you want brought to life?  Let us know!

MNFurs Photography Department Staff - Photography and capturing moments is what we do at our events for our community.  Let's chat about your photography needs!

Midwinter Frolic Staff ~ Photography - Midwinter Frolic is a fun winter camping event down at Whitewater State Park.  Attending and have some photography ideas?  Let's chat sometime!

Furry Migration Staff ~ Photography - A will be a wandering staff photographer at FM this year.  Want a photo or two or more?  I'll be around!

MNFurs ~ 501(c3) Non-Profit Organization

#29141 Quote
    To clear up some confusion I think I’m seeing, this would be a no-reservation, small-group meeting. Say 20-30 people, it’d be on the calendar but not announced, and generally not worry too much about reservations as that small size I don’t think generally require it. (Or worse case comes to worst, stick to those!)

The big traditional picnics would still get the full court press and all that, this would be more community driven, low key, and fun!

#29151 Quote
    I’d potentially be interested in smaller picnic gatherings in the summer. That sounds like fun! I live north of the Metro, but plan on working in the area come Spring, so I’ll likely be living nearby come summer. Heck, even if I didn’t, I’d still come to meet up with my furry brethren. Color me interested!

I am Convel Deamhan: I've learned that light can be born from darkness, beauty from ugliness, redemption from damnation, and friendship from loneliness. I am ecstatic to be a member of MNFurs, and the furry fandom at large!

#29152 Quote
    I generally work every other weekend (And Ill be gone the entirety of June), But for sure after that I’d love to meet up on my weekends off for Frisbee or swimming or w/e. Its great to have fresh air, and we can check out some other parks =3

Wut o.o

Im Sike AND Banana

#29161 Quote
    Absolutely worth it! I mean if people have recommendations, it’d be easy to say “Hey, I’m going to meet up at ____ park, here’s location, on _date_ at _time_ til _time_ see y’all there!” I know if I’m not otherwise busy I’ll be happy to help. And for me, it’ll be good, get my fat butt outside!
    #29162 Quote
    Sounds like fun! Count me in 😀
    #29163 Quote
    I’m in if I can get there. It gives me an excuse to try cooking stuff other than ramen too.

"You're addicted to caffeine" "I am not, I can stop whenever I want" "so stop?" "I said when I want!"

#29164 Quote
    Could be an interesting something, I wouldn’t mind being still more active in the summer months beyond camping and bike riding on the paved trails out here and some of the less paved ones.  I will have to keep an eye out on this thread and see where it goes, like some of us I am up in the north metro also so not sure how many I could make, but could give it a try.  🙂
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.