Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

UV Reactive Suits?

Home Forums General Discussions Fursuiting UV Reactive Suits?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Im working on designing a suit for one of my characters, Flux Husky (admittedly designed somewhat after my wonderful town of Owatonna), that I’m planning to finish by this fall, and I wanted him to be UV reactive. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for maximum glow? Best types of fabric to use, etc.? I’m also tentatively planning to purchase some LED eyes and jaw sets from DVC to install in him
    #50774 Quote
    UV reactive mediums tend to come as dyes, dry pigment, and paints. In your case it’s probably worth experimenting. A clear dye I think would give the best results but fake fur is often extruded acrylic which doesn’t hold dye well. Local sources, you’ll probably have the best luck at Blick Arts. Online, can fever go wrong with Amazon.

"The problem is not that there are too many idiots in the world, the problem is the distribution of lightning."
    - Mark Twain

#50775 Quote
    Probably worth noting that white fur often has a strong blue glow under UV as well.

"The problem is not that there are too many idiots in the world, the problem is the distribution of lightning."
    - Mark Twain

#50776 Quote
    Materials often don’t advertise that they’re UV reactive.  If there’s somewhere to buy fur around you then you may want to go there with a blacklight pen or similar to check the intensity of what they have there.

Also may be important to note which parts you want to make UV reactive.  Do you want all of it reacting, only some colors reacting, or do you want additional patterns that only show up under UV light?

#50777 Quote
    I wanted most of him to glow, with the exception being any darker spots in his design. The character is 1/3-2/3 white, so that’s not what I’m worried about. The trick is finding synthetic cyan fur that’ll glow like I want it to, which I would think would be possible since most neon colors are UV reactive
    #50786 Quote
    Dayglow colors kind of work by UV fluorescent to begin with, on top of which many laundry detergents contain UV brighteners to make “whites white-er.”  I only know this because I use Scent Killer products which advertize the lack of UV brighteners.

I’d second grabbing a UV flashlight to test.  They’re pretty cheap, pretty strong, and generally fun to have around.  I got mine off Amazon.  I was testing some dice to see if I could find any UV reactive one.  Sadly none of mine glowed.

- Mark Twain

#50830 Quote
    Sounds damn cool, I’ve been shopping around for a full suit with lots of neon but UV reactive is awesome too

Electronic Music - EDM, Industrial, Synth
    Nocturnal
     - You will rarely see me during the day, I work nights
    Demi-Sexual - Fun first, flirt later
    Foodie - Food Adventures constantly, not a fan of fish though

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.