Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

Book Discussion – Here There Be Dragons (SPOILERS!)

Home Forums Groups Book Club Book Discussion – Here There Be Dragons (SPOILERS!)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    So since we didn’t get a chance to meet up I’d figured I’d start this.  What’s everyone’s impression of “Here There Be Dragons”?
    #32587 Quote
    I thought it was an enjoyable read – a good fantasy book that anyone can enjoy. However, I think it’s most enjoyable if the reader is familiar with literary history, as there are several nods to previous authors and their works (the massive amount of references definitely made more sense following the reveal at the end!) Personally, I thought the book started off slow, but the pacing began to pick up near the middle, which I believe was when the true adventure begins.

One aspect I would note is the lack of character development. I’m not saying there was none, but it’s obvious that the author meant to continue this story as a series – a series that I would recommend to anyone that enjoyed the first novel. There are seven books total, and while I’ve only read the first four so far (I like to spread out books when reading a series), I can confirm that there is much further indulgence into the main cast of characters.

What was your guys’ reaction to the ending? Did it surprise you at all? Did you notice the hints to these authors throughout the novel?

Also, a fun question for y’all: if you were to re-write this book with a different trio of authors as the caretakers, who would you choose, and why?

#32704 Quote
    It was certainly a new take on fantasy for me.  The whole thing wound up feeling very ‘meta’ in that regard.  I would say that the whole book progressed at the pace it needed – a lot of background had to be laid, but it kept moving forward without too much confusion.  Though that reveal should have been obvious for the bad guy.

I think character development was a side-point.  I felt the whole series was intended as world building far more than anything else, which would make sense.  The author really has a talent for bridging themes and myths and tales into possible sources.  But I’m a worldbuilding nut, so naturally that’d be my focus!  And the ending was a few rounds of ‘Oh hell no, how didn’t I see this?!’  Very good.

If it were today I’d pick Steven King, Micheal Bay, and Robert Downey, Jr.  Because all of them are wild enough for it, I suspect.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.