Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

Concerns about recent events and real threat of war

Home Forums Off Topics and Site Maintance Off topic Concerns about recent events and real threat of war

• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Sling.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Edit: added a bit more detail as to what this is about

Okay, I can’t take it anymore. We need to all address this very real threat and danger.

After all recent events (impulsive US-Syria strike (which was declared by Russia as illegal), US-North Korea agression, Trump actively provoking North Korea, etc.) caused/amplified by our president, I am getting very nervous. I know I’m not alone with this anxiety, and you have to admit, it’s seeming more and more likely by the hour.

I feel like a lot of people aren’t accepting of how absolutely scary these behaviors by our president are.

If WW3 were to occur, nuclear winter will take place. It’s estimated to only take ~100 HIROSHIMA-sized bombs aimed at cities, forests, etc. in order to create firestorms big and frequent enough to put enough dust particles (~5 teragrams) high enough to interact with and destroy the ozone as well as blot out the sun.

Its not the actual atom bombs that are scary, it’s the people wielding them. Which, after that, it’s the long term effects resulting from the use of them. (Nuclear winter as aforementioned)

I would love to hear your thoughts on this entire topic. (And whoever has a good fallout shelter please let me know •u•)

Thank you for taking time to read this!

Note: if this is a topic against the rules/put in the wrong discussion, let me know. But even if it is against the rules, you have to admit it’s a very real and very scary probability.

Note 2: I am not creating this topic for a political war, I am creating this to address/discuss/debate the very scary, very real possibility of an actual war.

• This topic was modified 7 years ago by Fedora.
    #47843 Quote
    So I haven’t been keeping up with recent events. I would like to know more about what this discussion is about.
    #47845 Quote
    Thanks for letting me know. I added a small bit of what this is about for those curious as to what they need to look up.

It’s a lot to explain from scratch, and that’s why I only left a small summary so people can do further research.

If you need sources, let me know.

#47846 Quote
    I’m not too worried about it. Without getting too political, this response to Syria is something Hillary would have done as well. I don’t think either nation wants war. The Russian economy is really bad. Plus post war costs would be horrible. It’s bad business.
    #47847 Quote
    Nuclear war isn’t likey because it’s not very efficient.  The actual targets you want to destroy are largely bomb resistant and all a nuke is going to do after killing a huge amount of non-combatants is get everyone pissed off at you, putting a target squarely on your back and before you know it Rainbow Six is knocking at your door with C4.

North Korea is the only potential threat for a nuclear strike, and half of their missiles don’t even leave the launch tube in tact.  I’m dubious as to if they could even strike us on purpose, and the western coast is just barely on the edge of their longest range missile right now anyway.  They’re more likely to blow themselves up than actually manage to hit us, and far more likely to just land it in the ocean, assuming our, Japan’s and/or South Korea’s air defences don’t just blow it out of the air anyway.

"The problem is not that there are too many idiots in the world, the problem is the distribution of lightning."
    - Mark Twain

#47848 Quote
    As far as the Syria issues, I think or am to understand the USA has been in the area for a very long time already. Russia has declared our actions illegal before in other conflicts and we’ve obviously had unkind words about them too. In reality, I don’t think anything that has happened is “new” and our counterstrike is an escalated but limited response. We haven’t declared a new war – I think we’ve been in a mess for a while and just flexed our muscle after the chemical attacks.

I also don’t see what we’ve done to provoke North Korea, I haven’t seen new, but I also haven’t seen anything unusual. North Korea does missle tests, or has a small exchange with South Korea patrol boats, or new photos leak of their standard of living. It’s been the same warning signs for years. I thought in the last year even China made a statement at N.Korea to back off with some of the aggressive weapon testing. What I really believe N.Korea is doing is showing they’ll advance and make technology to protect their existance – they believe (or leaders believe) that if N.Korea looks weak, super power nations will sweep in and conquer the nation. Being assertive is them reacting to a sense (real or not) that they’re always under threat.

TL,DR: USA has been in Syria for a while. Our response attack wasn’t actually a new behavior even if it upset Russia. N.Korea has been going through these motions for years, it doesn’t appear to be more than asserting their territory.

#47849 Quote
    I hate that we’re messing with Syria, especially given that almost all of the supposed atrocities committed by Assad were committed by us or our allies in the region and then blamed on Assad, but I’m not too concerned about a worst case scenario with nukes.

The thing I’m worried about is that the US is actively going backwards on environmental regulations when we’re already in the middle of a man-made mass extinction event. We need to be converting to clean energy like most of the rest of the world, not promoting fracking and removing environmental protections. Even China is converting to clean energy finally, putting some $320b or more into it over the next few years. If we keep destroying the planet at current rates, it’s going to be more or less the same result as a nuclear war.

#47850 Quote
    As someone living in South Korea, the koreans here arent that worried about North Korea. I would say that 99.5% of the time they don’t think about them. Its about the time for the largest Holiday there (original leaders birthday) so there is some stuff going on (evac of 600k criminals, lots of BSing, journalists getting ready to see a ‘big event’) but its all the norm. While I think Trump is the true wild card in if something is going to happen, North Korea itself isnt that big of a worry unless trump pokes it with a stick (attacks first).

So on one hand, yeah its scary to think there is a volatile situation north of the border with missiles aimed at my embassy, but on the other I remember this is the boy calling wolf for the multimillionth time.

Wut o.o

Im Sike AND Banana

#47851 Quote
    You have to understand how a few things work, at least on the nation level. There are different rules.

Now I don’t know when we started giving merit to what Russia calls illegal operations against a soverign state (one needs only look back to 2008 (Georgia). Russia gave such a response as it was expected given then position. Nothing unexpected.

Korea has been acting up year after year threatening nuclear whatnot for over a decade. And to be honest it’s lost all meaning. Insert the maxim about the boy who called wolf. The only reason it’s drawing attention this time around is it supports the media’s narrative. They didn’t give a damn when Obama bomb the hell out of Syria in 2013 or placed a 9 month travel restriction that same year but for some reason its different this time around in their minds.

NK, as recently demonstrated has neither the nuclear nor the ballistic technology to deliver such a payload and with getting China to push down on NK it’s about time they be put into their place and not allowed to progress any further.

And trust me when I tell you, in worst case scenario, unless you have over 2k years worth of supplies and the like in a bunker and its kilometers underground, it will do you no good. Especially if you’re anywhere near the twin cities as that will be a primary target.

Perhaps having been in active duty for the past eight years has frayed my senses a bit. My fault there. Don’t get over hyped or reactive. Things are what they are and it’s nothing new.

#47852 Quote
    Oh gee whiz,

yeah this is really inconvenient,

id suggest bringing these concerns up in the next community forum, barring ratification from the local think tank, the group should really consider dispatching a board rep to DC in order to inform the government that we dont appreciate the use of military options in our political posturing with unreasonables like Mr. assad or Mr Un.

Certainly i would think our vast experiences in world politics, military strategy and  foreign policy could be helpful on the world stage,

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Cencewolf.
    #47868 Quote
    Most of the stuff coming out of your various screens is just media sensationalism. The views are the only thing that seems to matter for the major news networks.
    #47873 Quote

If anything, as a reservist, I have a more personal concern for the way things are going. Not a whole lot that can be done by plebeians like us to change the direction of the bigger picture, unfortunately. Really the best that regular citizens can do is prepare and ensure the safety of their friends and family. I’m doing what I can to be ready if I am deployed: staying in shape and learning as much as I can.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.