Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

General Information and Discussion

Home Forums Discussion Around Past MNFurs Events And Picnics Werecamp 2019 General Information and Discussion

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Helpful hints on what to pack, any rules and regulations that are good to know, etc.!
    #54994 Quote
    I will try to organize this as best as possible.  Feel free to ask questions..

Basics:  Werecamp is an 18+ winter camping event sponsored by MNfurs and to be held at Whitewater State Park group center.
    We are not pitching tents in the cold and snow, but more like going to camp when we were kids.  Insulated bunk houses, central lodge, bath house, all in a beautiful secluded scenic valley. This event will run from Friday March 8 to late Sunday March 10th.  Cost is 80-100$ but that price is all inclusive! Lodging, food, and activities for 3 days!   If this all sounds good, register here:   https://werecamp.regfox.com/registration-2019
    Reminder, You will need to parking permit per car arriving which can be purchased at the main office.  https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/permit.html
    We highly suggest traveling to main Visitor center during daylight hours to first to get parking permit and get directions to campsite as it can be hard to find, and hazardous in the dark.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Procyon.
    #55421 Quote
    I wanted to take a moment to go over the packing list for anybody attending Werecamp. I’ve broken this list up into three parts and afterwards I’ll provide some information regarding cold weather clothing. This same information is also available on the Werecamp information page. If you’re not sure whether you should be bringing something, ask us before the event and we’ll let you know.

Part 1: Required items that each attendee should bring with them.

• Bedding/sleeping bag
    • Extra blankets (We have to pay for the heat, so having extra blankets helps us keep the costs down)
    • Pillow
    • Toilet paper (put it in a ziplock bag to keep it dry)
    • Towel
    • Toiletries (showers are available)
    • Medications (if you have them)
    • Clothes suitable for  both inside and outside
    • Separate footwear for inside and outside (Wet footwear must be removed at the doors. Cozy slippers or sandals recommended)

Part 2: Optional items you may want to bring

• Werewolf costume
    • Camera
    • Flashlight
    • Skis/Snowshoes (No permit required, snowshoe rentals available for $6/day)
    • Games
    • Art supplies
    • Fursuit
    • Soda (We provide hot and cold beverages, but not soda)

Part 3: Prohibited items that should be left at home (Read the code of conduct for full rules.)

• Drones
    • Alcohol
    • Tobacco and related products
    • Recreational drugs
    • Weapons and weapon like objects (Nerf guns)

A note on cold weather clothing

Since we are staying in cabins you don’t need to worry too much about clothing. Just bring enough extra clothes to keep warm and change into if you get wet.

However, if you would like to spend time outside and be comfortable, there are a few rules of thumb you can keep in mind.

Dress in layers of clean and dry clothes. Thin inner layers made from wicking materials such as polypropylene are best with thicker outer layers that can be unzipped. Avoid cotton which holds onto perspiration. Your outermost layer should be waterproof so you don’t soak up melting snow. (Snow pants and winter jacket)

Avoid overheating to stay dry. If you start to feel too warm unzip layers until you are comfortable again. Don’t wait until you start sweating as that is too late. If you do sweat you’ll want to change into dry clothes before going out again.

You get most of your insulation from air pockets in your clothing layers, so you want your layers to be loose. Tight clothing won’t keep you warm. This also means you can have too many layers. Mittens are better than gloves because they keep all of your fingers in one air pocket.

#55496 Quote
    I’ve just been made aware of some questions in other locations that may need answering:

If there is a government shut down, does that effect this event?

No. This is a State park.  Minnesota does not have same issues as federal system.

Why is event 18+?

Short answer, safety and liability.  This is a beautiful but steep box canyon with small swift river in the winter. Too many places where an ambitious teenager could accidentally hurt themselves if not careful.  This is primary reason.  However, some artist took advantage of being able to draw freely in that environment as well.

What is there to do in a place with no internet?

Beautiful park, all in winter, in a secluded location to allow one to Furry however they want.  Hiking, photography,  fursuiting in the snow, drawing, watching movies (we have projector an screen), playing games, eating plentiful hot food and drinks, cuddling up by fire and enjoying each others company.  All inclusive for $80 or $100, not sure what else to say.

#55601 Quote
    I was checking the tower map today, it looks like there is possibly Sprint coverage in the area now.  I’ll be curious to test that.

"The problem is not that there are too many idiots in the world, the problem is the distribution of lightning."
    - Mark Twain

#55613 Quote
    Yeah that’s what I got. I could probably go check it out this Friday cause I live less than 40 minutes away from there

Life wasn’t meant to end easy, it’s meant for you to come screeching on your rear to the golden gates saying “Wow! What a ride!”

#55635 Quote
    By now everyone has heard about the storm expected for this weekend, and I just wanted to take a moment to let everyone know that Werecamp is still happening. Having a storm occur during the event doesn’t present a hazard and everyone should arrive long before any snow or rain starts falling.

It’s a bit early to know if there will be lingering travel issues after the storm passes, but the worst of the travel conditions are expected to be more westward and not as severe as the last major snow storm. We’ll reassess the forecast Friday and provide recommendations on the best time to head home if we think it’s needed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.