Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

Hi… I'm Rats

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    <br data-mce-bogus=”1″>
    Hello, you can call Rats if you would like. I’ve always had a huge interest in the furry fandom, but I’m still very much new to this (despite all my friends being rather against the idea), and would like to finally make some friends that share my interests. I consider myself very timid when it comes to dealing with people from the beginning, and I’m also kind-of a worrywort (I guess that’s why i’ve always seen myself as a mouse?).

Although she isn’t complete yet, I do have an image of my character and will edit my avatar to her image as soon as I’m able to, so sorry for the lack of one at this point. Also at this point, I don’t have a suit but am saving my money to be able to make a commission for one (I’m so excited).

Does anyone have any advice for me to get started with this community? Am I already doing something wrong in this post? I don’t know *hides face*… Sorry if this is incorrect…

#23019 Quote
    Hello Rats and welcome to MNFurs!

My name is Drake and it’s nice to meet you!  *Paw shake*

As far as being new to the community, I know how it feels as I have been there myself at one point.  Going to do a copy/paste from another post as I believe this will help.

We all know what is’ like to be new and if you decide to attend a meet, first thing I suggest you do is find a place to sit and observe.  Get comfortable that these are people just like you with a lot of the same interests…One of those being furry.  Once you have come to terms with that, say hello to one or two people, introduce yourself, and see if you can get a small conversation going…Granted, it will be tough at first because some may not accept you, but that’s part of the journey of overcoming.  Staying quiet all of the time will make others unsure of you and they will stay distant so make yourself known.

The meets take place at Perkins in Minnetonka and one thing you will notice is groups…Many have their own clique, but sooner or later one will accept you.  Some eventually venture over to Caribou which is next door and another chunk of our community is there too…Heck, I am always available if you need someone to talk to because I am everywhere at the meets.

Now I know I may be going into this deeply, but I know how it feels to be shy when jumping into something that involves socializing and a lot of it.

Before I moved to the metro July of 2012, I lived in a small town with little to no social interaction except for my high-level job.  When I joined MNFurs in August, it was a big jump into the unknown…I say it that way because I had never been part of a fandom-based community and was worried that I would make no friends or be looked at differently.  My first jump into MNFurs was the 2012 Fall Picnic…I knew nobody and it was very overwhelming.  I knew that if I stayed reserved for too long that it may ruin my overall experience and I would have possibly walked away.  Once I got my picnic badge with my name on it, other community members saw this and sparked up conversations…Boy did that help me out in this new situation a lot.

I hope this helps and it will be fun to meet you sometime.  =)

~ Drake M.

T H €  B | Z   F [] X

RETIRING JUNE 2024

MNFurs Events Department Co-Head - Events are the main driving factors of the organization.  Have an event you want brought to life?  Let us know!

MNFurs Photography Department Staff - Photography and capturing moments is what we do at our events for our community.  Let's chat about your photography needs!

Midwinter Frolic Staff ~ Photography - Midwinter Frolic is a fun winter camping event down at Whitewater State Park.  Attending and have some photography ideas?  Let's chat sometime!

Furry Migration Staff ~ Photography - A will be a wandering staff photographer at FM this year.  Want a photo or two or more?  I'll be around!

MNFurs ~ 501(c3) Non-Profit Organization

#23037 Quote
    Thank you Drake, that helps a lot, and I will take your advice when I go to a meet. Small town weird girl right here. Although Minnetonka is a little bit of a drive (little more than an hour drive north of there), I would like to try and come to one of those meets maybe in the near future. Would it matter if I brought an outside friend with me, to help me feel comfortable if I did go to one of these meets? He’s impartial to the fur community, but I know absolutely no one in the community itself (I got too shy at AD to go up to anyone and try to make friends).

P.S. I thought I might make the very uncolorful and rather terrible digital sketch of Rats’s profile head as my avatar, because I felt silly having no picture at all up there. I’m not very talented when it comes to digital art, so please forgive it.

*~*Rats

#23040 Quote

Would it matter if I brought an outside friend with me, to help me feel comfortable if I did go to one of these meets?

That will be fine if it helps in being comfortable.

~ Drake M.

T H €  B | Z   F [] X

RETIRING JUNE 2024

MNFurs Events Department Co-Head - Events are the main driving factors of the organization.  Have an event you want brought to life?  Let us know!

MNFurs Photography Department Staff - Photography and capturing moments is what we do at our events for our community.  Let's chat about your photography needs!

Midwinter Frolic Staff ~ Photography - Midwinter Frolic is a fun winter camping event down at Whitewater State Park.  Attending and have some photography ideas?  Let's chat sometime!

Furry Migration Staff ~ Photography - A will be a wandering staff photographer at FM this year.  Want a photo or two or more?  I'll be around!

MNFurs ~ 501(c3) Non-Profit Organization

#23043 Quote
    Hello Rats, glad to hear your going to make the leap, I know how you feel as fare as not being confident about things, but this is a supportive community and I am sure you will feel right at home in no time at all
    #23044 Quote
    Welcome to the MNFurs community, hope you have a great time here and hope to see you at a meet.
    #23057 Quote
    Welcome Rats. I hope you have fun at our events and wouldn’t mind meeting you.
    #23065 Quote
    Hi Rats,

Nice to meet you! I am Aerak, or Matt if you would prefer my real name. I sit on the board of directors and am currently the group’s president.

You are more than welcome to bring a friend. The more the merrier! You don’t have to be a furry to come to our events. We are just people, each with our own interests and you will probably find our biweekly meets surprisingly diverse. Some of the people you will meet are in the anime fandom. Others are in the sci-fi fandom, and others are just ordinary geeks. We are the same as any social group you will find.

Usually you will see around 60-100 people at our biweekly meets, spread between the Perkins and the Caribou Coffee across the street. We have an amazing group of people and most of us are very approachable. Generally speaking, there isn’t much to identify us as furries. Fursuits are not permitted at our biweekly meets, but we have specific events throughout the year for costuming – Our Spring and Fall Picnics are great for this.

If there is anything we can do for you to make you feel more at home, just let us know!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.