Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

Hiking at Interstate State Park – Sunday, May 7th

Home Forums Events Hiking at Interstate State Park – Sunday, May 7th

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    • Location: Interstate State Park in Minnesota (meet near the visitor center)
    • Time: Sunday, May 7th at 1PM
    • What: Hiking what is essentially all of the trails in this park in one loop. A little over 4 miles total.
    • Cost: $5-$25 if you don’t have a vehicle permit. Otherwise free.

This is going to be the last hiking event before we try another kind of activity. Hopefully I have this one timed to hit the peak of the spring wildflower season. This will be a hike of moderate difficulty. Most of the time we’ll be on level trails, but a few locations involve stairs and steeper terrain. In addition to the wildflowers, there is a small stream that may be flowing along part of the trail and we will be going through the glacial pothole area towards the end.

This hike is suitable for pets for the most part, though you will find you can’t bring a dog into the potholes. The stairs aren’t good for their feet. You can get them through the pothole area without going on any of these stairs.

I would bring some drinking water with you, and whatever clothing is appropriate for the weather that day. Bugs are usually not a big issue at this park. It’s also usually nice to have a camera at this park. I have a little tradition of crossing the border into Wisconsin after hiking here to hit up the local Dairy Queen, that part is an optional addition.

I recommend parking at the visitor center where we will meet. (I bring a walking stick with a wolf wearing an eye patch, that’s how you can pick me out from the crowd.) This is technically inside the state park even though it feels like you’re inside the city of Taylors Falls, so you need a vehicle permit which you can pick up outside the visitor center. They still sell for $25 for the annual pass and $5 for the daily pass. This is a self-service station, so you may want exact change. There is parking in Taylors Falls that is free, but I don’t recommend it. The other parking lot is completely shielded from view and can make for a tempting theft target. It’s also good to support the park by paying the permit fee. (75% of the park budget comes from those fees.) It’s your call.

Also, just as a notice. I wait 15 minutes after the start time for people to show up before starting the hike. If you can’t show up by that time you need to post here to let me know how late you’re going to be. I check this on my phone at the park. If it’s a short wait I’ll delay, otherwise I’ll give you instructions on how to catch up with us. (Do not post to the forums while driving though.) I don’t consider RSVPs reliable enough to wait for people just based on a head count, so don’t rely on that.

#47867 Quote
    Hmmm I can potentially make this.  Here’s hoping!

"The problem is not that there are too many idiots in the world, the problem is the distribution of lightning."
    - Mark Twain

#47933 Quote
    Remember, don’t boop the flowers. Unless you’re a bee.
    #47937 Quote
    If i can get enough Picnic prep done.
    #47938 Quote

If i can get enough Picnic prep done.

Let me know if there’s anything I can help you with next week. I should be finished with the most complicated part of my prep work this weekend. I’ll just have to do some testing and paperwork after that.

#47983 Quote
    The weather for next weekend is looking good at this point. Sunny and mid-sixties.
    #47997 Quote
    Parking is a bit scarce today.  I can provide directions to another lot if needed.  I’m waiting at the benches outside the visitor center right now.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.