Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

Issues with Fursuit Makers

Home Forums General Discussions Fursuiting Issues with Fursuit Makers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Hello, I am kind of just here to vent.

I am a new fursuit maker and am working my way to making suits and becoming more professional. in this time, I decided to commission people in my shoes. Granted they do have more experience than me (have not made a full suit or even a real partial before) but that isn’t saying much. With this said, I was kind of gambling with them.

The one that is making my head was nice at first but has slowly been someone I have been dreading to message considering that they have given me very rude replies from just me asking for an update. I finished paying off the fursuit head in January of this year and the haven’t even started on the base. It took them the summer to buy the materials. I know they have been having a rough year but in reality, it doesn’t help that they don’t check in and when I message them, they get snippy sometimes. A lot of my friends say that I should ask for a refund but I know they aren’t in the best financial situation so it would kind of be heartless to do that and I wouldn’t get the full amount anyways. Besides, I like their style and just want to see the suit head done and they say I can get it at MFF.

This other person I am getting a kigu from and I ordered it this year I believe and they have gotten the materials for it as well but have not really started past telling me that they are getting started on the pattern. They are very into oversharing so I do get updates… but not about the progress but about their family, friend and financial issues. It is taxing on me as a commissioner to have the maker talk about their hardships when they should be professional. I understand that they are having a hard time and I totally feel for that but I feel it isn’t professional for them to tell all the details explicitly. I really want this kigu and wouldn’t think of asking for a refund either since they are having financial hardships too.

I am just sitting here and reflecting on this and thinking about how I would never project this as a fursuit maker and hope to have better restraints and also better customer service.

TL;DR I commissioned two people, one for a fursuit head, the other for a custom kigu, both of them haven’t started and the customer service has been crap and as an aspiring fursuit maker, I feel this isn’t fair and want to strive to be better.

artist by day, furry trash the rest of the time

www.thepyratecove.com

#54566 Quote
    are they big name people?

- Stay Funky

#54567 Quote

are they big name people?

nope, they aren’t super well known, especially not for their fursuit making. one went viral a few times in the fandom though but its not to say that they are well known for their suits because of it.

I found both of them on the furry side of facebook.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Bayou.

www.thepyratecove.com

#54568 Quote
    I agree with you.   A professional keeps things on a business level, keeps communication open and delivers on what they promise.   Those that bring their personal lives into it or do not deliver on their promises are not professional.    They are hobbyists that can not handle the business aspect of fursuit making.

Furry Migration Staff (Volunteers) & MNFurs Board Member.

Posts on the MNFurs forums are of my own opinion and do not reflect that of MNFurs or chartered events unless otherwise stated.

http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Snap_E._Tiger

#54569 Quote
    Are the people you’ve gone with registered businesses? That’s usually the first sign of someone dedicated on a professional level versus just a hobbyist.
    #54570 Quote

I agree with you. A professional keeps things on a business level, keeps communication open and delivers on what they promise. Those that bring their personal lives into it or do not deliver on their promises are not professional. They are hobbyists that can not handle the business aspect of fursuit making.

That is a good point. The difference between being a professional and being a hobbyist. It does seem like that is what both of them are, hobbyists. This has honestly discouraged me from working with newer makers again and I feel like it would be better to, if I were to commission someone else again, for it to be someone who is a professional, whether it be a small or big business. I guess that is why people say to shop around.

www.thepyratecove.com

#54571 Quote

Are the people you’ve gone with registered businesses? That’s usually the first sign of someone dedicated on a professional level versus just a hobbyist.

yeah, they aren’t a registered business from my understanding. yeah for sure, I see where you are coming from completely. when I am able to get a lot more practice in and dedicate more of my time to being a maker and just doing art more professionally, I def want to get myself registered as a business. the people I am working with at this point, I really don’t know where they see themselves in the business of fursuit making, to be honest.

www.thepyratecove.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.