Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

Just Passing Through

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Hello everyone,

I found this place via Kizith’s Twitter profile. Sometimes that Twitter thing is actually useful, who knew?

I’m a bear that lives in Ohio, but I’m taking a road trip starting this Saturday that is going to take me through Michigan’s UP, west through northern Wisconsin, then up through Minnesota to the Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary up in Orr. I’ll also be heading east from there to Ely, which has the International Wolf Center and the North American Bear Center.

I’ve found some places to visit along the way (including some of the most touristy and trappiest of tourist traps), but I was wondering if anyone here had suggestions on other things to visit while I’m in the area.

Thanks!

#31788 Quote
    Hello there and thanks for stopping by our state!

If you’re in northern Minnesota, I heavily recommend taking a detour to Duluth. It’s a beautiful scenic city and has many great attractions such as the Great Lakes Aquarium and the S.S. William A. Irvin. One of my favorite places to eat there is Grandma’s Saloon and Grill, just a short distance away from the aquarium. If you have time to kill, I personally think the North Shore of Lake Superior is one of the most beautiful parts of the state.

If you’re passing through the Twin Cities, our biggest and most well known attraction is the Mall of America. If you have time for a museum or two, my personal favorite is the Science Museum of Minnesota, but there are others as well. Of course, if you’re in the Twin Cities at the right time, you’re more than welcome to any event that the MNFurs have going on such as our bi-weekly meetups.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers!

Jac

#31790 Quote
    Hey there Jac!

I’ll be passing through Duluth, and I was planning on stopping for something to eat and to take a look around. I’ll definitely hit up the Saloon and Grill.

I won’t be going through Minneapolis, but if the bears are as awesome as I know we are and I end up planning another trip, I’ll adjust the route and drop in to say hello to everyone. I’ll bring presents from Ohio! Who doesn’t love presents? (o:

Thanks for the info and invite!

#31831 Quote
    Have fun and be safe Kermode Bear!

Electronic Music - EDM, Industrial, Synth
    Nocturnal
     - You will rarely see me during the day, I work nights
    Demi-Sexual - Fun first, flirt later
    Foodie - Food Adventures constantly, not a fan of fish though

#31861 Quote
    Glad to see you finally found us! I hope you can head over here sometime soon; I always like to meet more bears! ^v^

In solitary moments magpies will perch on a branch and mutter soft soliloquies of whines and squeals and chatterings, oblivious to what goes on around them. It is one of those things, I suppose, intelligence now and then does, must in fact now and then do, must think, must play, must imagine, must talk to itself. What, finally, intelligence could be for: finding your way back.

#31906 Quote
    Well here I am in Duluth. Nice town.  I’m going to eat some of your trout while I am here. (o:
    #31942 Quote
    I love Duluth!

But if you find yourself in SE MN — it is oh so beautiful throughout the Mississippi River valley, bluffs and other waterways!

I grew up down there on a farm and I do get so homesick

Amethyst

Help me remember that nothing is going to happen to me today that You and I together cannot handle!

#32318 Quote
    Howdy folks!

It’s been a few weeks – when I got home I was slammed with work (as usual – why do I take time off?) but I wanted to stop by again.

Northern Minnesota is awesome. Pretty forests, tons of lakes hidden all over the place, not a ton of people, lots of wildlife. My kind of place. I’m planning to move from Ohio at some point, and I could very easily see myself up there long term.

The North American Bear Center is a great stop for educational purposes. Lots of video, displays, even a small theater. The enclosure out back is pretty nice, but while I was there the bears on site felt like hanging out back most of the time. That’s alright though, the volunteers will take you out back to say hello.

But if you just want to see bears – lots of them – the Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary is the place to go. It’s amazing. I talked to Sam, the assistant manager, for a while and he told me that in late August they’ll have 60-80 bears roaming around the property. That’s a lot of bear! I took some pictures with my mediocre camera. Sam was really great – if you’re interested in learning about wildlife management or working in a non-profit, he is a wealth of information.

I never made it to the International Wolf Center – I spent all my time with my brothers and sisters – but next time I head up I’m going to plan for an extra day (and try to drop in on one of your meets, too).

So, in short, Minnesota is awesome, the bear stuff up there is even more awesome, and I didn’t hit a moose on the road and die. (o:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.