Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

MNFurs Community Meeting 1-7-13 – MEETING NOTES

Home Forums MNFurs Meeting Notes and Times MNFurs Community Meeting 1-7-13 – MEETING NOTES

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    I want to apologize for the amount of time it's taken to post these notes.  We are going to make posting notes a regular thing so people can stay informed with what's going on (this includes notes on board meetings).

Below are the notes posted in their entirety.

————————

Role call:

Zepaw, Kellic, Drake, Kelsier, Lego, Aerak, Yarrick, Arashiin

Online: Kodyack, Queuethulu, Twisted, Unico, Sike,(meet start) Pepper, Grumble, SkiSharp, Mouring

Zepaw acting as Secretary Pro-tem

Drake on Petco: Day 3 $58, Day 4 $160. Good turnout and customer interaction. No major issues, small concern of someone just showing up but it worked out. Kellic asks if fundraising was mainly for event, response is that it was all for Tree of Hope charity. For two local adoption agencies, TLC Canine and whisker rescue. Flip asks if they are fully register c3s or c7s, Unico was unsure and said Shadow would need to be asked. Flip comments that it may be a concern in the future when we are in partnerships. For now we are new enough that its safe but something to keep in mind.

-Laptop hosting online folks has gone asleep and needing to be plugged in.-

Flip – It will be important to know what the other agency is, ie what level of non-profit, business, or such. What is our exposure? Are we just helping someone’s business? Sometimes that’s okay but it depends on the nature.

-computer back online-

Yarrick/Aerak – This was not an MNFurs event per se thus our liabilities were lessened.

Flip catches online group up on the discussion missed. Unico: They were a c3 organization. They give a portion to each of those two shelters. This one was ¾ to TLC, ¼ to whiskers. They vary with different events.

Yarrick: Holiday party. It did well. Rough head count of 75. We made positive from donations. About $120. Arashiin hosted a Dirty Santa which went well with 19 people. Good feedback and seems like something people would want it again next year. (Group here and online concur that it would be good for next year). Kellic wants or ribbons.

Skystrider: Jan 12 bowling event. North Metro bowling event is this Saturday. Figuring out who could do pictures since Kurst and Yarrick can’t attend. Perhaps shadow and/or Arashiin. I have revised my budget as I found cheap badge holders at Walmart. Drake: we are at 34 RSVP which can shift. Sky: We could have up to 40 Drake: Some have said they may bring friends with thus increasing the rolls. Sky: Its hard to know how many will come for the official event instead of just to socialize.

For North Metro meet I am looking around North-metro town(?) in Fridley. My backup is the Perkins in Anoka by Anoka technical college. Will begin in February. Will perhaps alternate Saturdays of traditional meet but TBD. Questions? Unico asks why the photographers cant do the whole time instead of trade off. Response – Arashiin plans to suit some of the time. Otherwise this will work. Its encouraged for any attendees to take and share photos as well.

Flip – I recommend asking picnic hosts about how to work out the bin of how to handle pics as some will not want theirs hosted. Yarrick offered himself and will discuss with Arashiin and Shadow. Flip: For the future to share the artist’s gift as part of the budget is not something to share. As policy we don’t pay artists and gifts aren’t guaranteed. We don’t wish to seem to be showing favorites. If you plan a gift don’t make it public before the event.

Flip Anime Detour – Kurst and I are splitting the room party duties. In the future we expect it will be split between someone chosen by the board and one from MNFurs con as those are the two groups being represented by the room party. It’s a mix of representation such as con registration and MNFurs picnic. If you are thinking of going to anime Detour register now. Its an honest chance that it can fill up by this weekend, certainly within the next two weeks. It is $55. In the room party a few artists will be doing badge work. We won’t know more of when photo-shoot could happen until mid-March and that’s out of our hands. Sike, anything you wish to share about panels? Sike: I think were pretty good on that. Its mostly figured out and we have volunteers. Just gotta set down and out it to paper.

Michelle Clark will be running a roving con suite to get drinks and treats to volunteers. We have had interest, we would expect some suiters and handlers will assist with these if we have sufficient interest. Kellic: It looks like convention and MNFurs will be splitting the cost. Gumble: Will be bringing the sheets before hand. Kellic: Pachinko is maybe/maybe not. Don’t have details atm.

VOLUNTEER HOURS DISCUSSION:

Hours and how they will be organized was the main concern from last time. There will be the sign-in sheets at each event and then when signed in you will get your hours. Each event will have its own allotted hours, but will be there. Hours are then sent to the secretary that will keep track and go from there. When election comes around, the hours will be looked at it and decide who can vote. Whoever is the head of the actual event will be responsible to dock those hours along with whoever attends. If there is not enough events then the board is at fault. We need to have enough events so that we can get members out there to volunteer and to get their hours. Sometimes the hours are a FLAT RATE or HOURS PER MONTH, but it depends on the type of the event. If we are not sure how many events we are going to have then the hours will be allotted based on the TIER of the event (TIER 1 might be one hour and so on).

KELLIC: For the con, the hours will work the same, but pre-con will have to be discussed. There will be a meeting for division heads and then the members. Once discussed, then the hours can also be discussed.

Aerak –passes out MNFurs Community Forum mission statement- At top is definition of MN Community Forum. Paraphrase: It is a recurring monthly event where people from the broader community can step up and help out the organization in a greater capacity, learn more about what is going on, and offer ideas/concerns/questions to further our dialog with our community.

Flip: To ask the questions ome may ask, why have this? Aerek: Part is due diligence, part to train talent. Some believe we are a large organization. In fact our volunteer/talent pool is limited. We wish to nurture that talent. Flip: Its to make things actually happen, to have a process. What is an idea without execution? As an example we had contemplated an online function but it was not seen through.

We have people stepping up who are not necessarily fully equipped but they have the motivation and we want to encourage that and help them grow. Lego: We want a process to keep a check and balance. It allows the board to know what the community wants. It instigates our (Board of Directors) discussion of can we do this? How can we do this? Flip: such as the parade. It is a great thing and we want to do it yet it just couldn’t be and we needed people to be able to have that yes or no on “is this happening?”. Lego: As for the winter parade this is the first year people walking, as opposed to people on floars, need insurance and it was cost restrictive. Flip/Yarrick/Lego: It will be interesting to see if several groups will be knocked out of the parade over this.

Mouring: question, could GPS have helped us with that insurance? Answer: No as we are not officially tied to them in that capacity. We and they looked into it but it was a non-option. Online Question: Could several groups come together to split the cost? Flip: It’s a muddled issue that is unlikely to work. Its something we will look into but its complex to the point of implausible. Aerek: Comozoo is looking into using us to a greater capacity. Helping their parade presentation could be a way in but its something we are looking into, we are approaching several avenues. General consensus: It was a great event and we hope/plan to do it again. We will do our best to find a way.

Arashiin: are we able to reach out more to furs outside the metro? Flip: Its something we have worked on such as St Cloud Meet. We will continue those efforts but at a point we expect them to come to us. We can only reach out so far. It’s a networking game that we continue to play as best we can. Arashiin: I imagine Furry Migration will be treated as a great chance to bring together all MN Furs, not just metro.

Aerek: We will need a dedicated community secretary to reliably take notes and get them to the community secretary. Flip: We want to network, its not as easy as you may think somedays. We are “shutgunning” this to work as many avenurs as we can. There are concerns of our online forum not being ideal. There are other avenues but MNFurs’ forum/site is our place. Facebook is for the world, FurAffinity is for furs, MNFurs Is our place. Kurst is planning an overhaul to the MNFurs site but he is one person with many concerns including the FM site. As we go forward events will continue to be posted to the site. We own it and we can make it what we want. If its not meeting needs we have the ability to make it be what we need. Aerek: Zepaw you are doing the notes tonight, thank you. Are you okay with doing this regularly? Zepaw: Yes I am happy to do so. Consensus: You should have a back-up as well. Yarrick: Perhaps its not best to have someone who is already a positioned person, ie Zepaw is volunteer lead. Aerek: Name someone. As mentioned our talent is limited to who volunteers. I call a vote. Who wishes to place Zepaw as the secretary pro-tem? –vote was derailed by discussion of trying to see if anyone else was available- Aerek: From what I’m hearing we will aim to find someone who can do this officially as of next month. People here and online reach out to those you know. They need to be able to attend all meetings. Yarrick: If we continue doing online thing should the secretary handle the online chat as well? Flip: Nop. Its clear Kelsier has her hands full with the chat. It would be implausible to do both. Question: What if Kelsier cant make it? Kelsier: Me, Sike, and we are looking for a third are handling this. We are all about redundancy. Aerek: On that note I feel we should move on.

Aerek: Event liaison position: -hands out Event Liaison Staff Position draft form- This is a position with a head and a co-head. They will review submissions of events on MNFurs. Events that require funding or the MNFurs branding will be forwarded to the board. Events that do not require assistance (logistics or expertise) the liaison has the ability to offer coaching. MNFurs will post these unaffiliated events but its 100% the host’s event. For example the sushi meet this month. It is its own event that requires no funding or assistance from MNFurs directly. (Online chat srached for about 5 minutes, Aerek continued through it).

Flip: Why do we have this process? We are a registered existing legal entity. We have due diligence. We have to make sure anything we want to attach our name to meets our standards. We are not here to take over events but to offer guidance. Yarrick: It allows us to document the process as well. People can offer thoughts based on what we have gathered. Aerek: It is also a learning experience. We are going to help guide them and push them to attend these meeting. They can share ideas and gain from ours. (online chat is fully back online). If the event is far enough down the line we want them to come to the community meet. –Flip recapped online group-

Flip: Some people have a great idea of what they want. What if someone wants to host a LAN party but doesn’t have the capacity/knowledge of how to execute it? The MNFurs group can shepherd them through. Give them the tools and motivate them to lead the event. Grumble: MNFurs is helpful in advertising the event as well Aerek: Question/comments on the draft? Aerek: between now and the next board meeting I’m going to adjust this draft based on your feedback. Skystrider: I may be interested but is there a conflict in me hosting events? Kellic: not at all Aerek: However we have two people who have been filling this position and are expect to move into official capacity once this draft is finalized. The co-head is there as a fallback for situations such as Sky presented if perhaps the head is hosting an event and it takes his full attention. If you come up with ideas/concerns on the draft please email them to me [email protected] Flip: Could we have a folder with this drafts available? Lego: We will have to talk with our IT guy and see if that is possible. Flip: Otherwise dropbox them. Lego: We will work to do that or find alternatives. Aerek: In the mean time poke me about it on the forums. Drake: Should we make those two public? Aerek: Yes, they are Yarrick and Drake. There was some discussion about whether it should be more than two people in the position but this position does not have as much responsibility to occupy more than two.

-Aerak hands out Volunteer Department draft charter- Zepaw: Will we be posting these handouts so people can see what I am referencing in the notes? Aerek/Flip: Similar to the discussion of posting drafts we will be looking to post handouts.

Aerak: Volunteer Department has a lot on its plate. They will reach our within the MNFurs group and other groups to identify talent and work with event runners to identify needs. The volunteer department will be resaponsible for creating a database with individual’s legal name, fur name, skills, and contact information. This is for MNFurs internal use only. It will not be released or used/sold for marketing purposes. Kellis: Its important we lock in how this information will be secured. Aerek/Flip: That is what this charter is working to lay out. We will be sure to have a clear layout of such issues. Grumble: I am interested in being part of this though not the lead of the department. Flip/Lego: For recurring events such as a room party of a con we know what will be needed. Something ad hoc we will have to learn from experience. After an event we will examine if perhaps there were too many/few volunteers.

Aerek: this will be run by a department head with an assistant department head. The volunteer’s department head will be selected by the Board using recommendations from the board and/or community forum group. The assistant will be chosen by the department head and accepted by the board. It will be up to the head and assistant to determine divisional managers, internal department structure, and chain of command based on the needs and size of the volunteer base. The head will provide the board with a monthly report highlighting how the department is progressing. Lego: Its not names but we gained X people and similar reports.

Flip: For volunteer hours. For current hours people I imagine are concerned about who can vote. At the way its set-up now at 20 hours you can vote for the next board. What I want of the group is what sort of notifications do you want? Should you be notified when you hit 20? An update 3 months from the election? Consensus: There should be a notice when you hit 20. Skystrider: Perhaps at 3, 2, 1 month before the election have a list of who has reached 20. Aerek: on first page we show that the department as a courtesy members close will be notified close to the election. Skystrider: but can a public list be made of who is vote eligible? Consensus: That is knowledge that shouldn’t be public. Flip: If you are campaigning to be a board member you shouldn’t have a list of people to cater to. You should be reaching out to everyone. Kellic: It’s a community group. Lego: There will be a list on the day of that’s not public but it will be known by the election judge. Flip: I suggest a month after our convention. Its after our big volunteer hour offer but there will be a picnic and some other events. Lego: I saw 30 days instead of a month to make it a clear number. Flip: Perhaps November 1st.

Aerek: As a heads up the current person interested in being lead is Zepaw. There is still room for an assistant. Grumble has offered to assist. Zepaw: I will reach out to Grumble. Questions regarding volunteers department can be directed to Zepaw ([email protected]) or Aerak ([email protected]).

Kellic: We planned to have the con meet this weekend but are moving it to the next weekend since bowling is this weekend. It is an open meeting so if you want to know more you may attend. Meeting information coming.

Skystrider: I will look into finding parades in the northern metro.

Arashiin: Any information on spring picnic? Aerek: Tank and Jacek have a location they are interested in. Details need to be formalized by the end of the month. No date, expected in May. Not near memorial day.

Flip: Looking forward its not too soon to being planning the fall picnic. If you want to run the fall picnic inquire through the events process. Drake: I’m working to plan a gathering next month at a community park. If we can provide the paperwork of being non-profit we can rent it free. We don’t have federal forms but he will accept the state forms. Time can be troublesome because many groups use the area. The contact there is not being amenable but I’m working through it.

Flip: We are running up soon to the point where the election will be one year away. Its important to put that out there when its about a year out. Allow people to know for gathering volunteer hours or considering running for a spot of the board.

Aerek: Online group, questions? Sike: Boxers or briefs? Kellis: Neither

Lego: If there is anything anyone wants to talk about, now would be the time.

Drake: How do people feel about the location? Opinions: Wifi was mostly stable, sound traveled a bit awkwardly.

Next meet February 7 Thursday at 7pm. (locations discussed) Here? Willowgate? Davannis? Flip: That Davannis was a tight space. Yarrick: We should try to keep it central. Group: whats in Bloomington?

Yarrick: Perhaps here next month and research a place for the month after? Consensus: Agreed. Yarrick accepted responsibility to find a location.

February 7th at 7pm (Thursday) at this Denny’s

#9433 Quote
    Sorry about misspelling your name a couple dozen times Aerak. Could you correct the two times I posted your email? I also listed it as a .com rather than .org the second time.
    #9434 Quote
    Nice catch!

Done!

#9443 Quote
    in the notes about my comments on the North Metro Monthly meet:

#9468 Quote

Skystrider: but can a public list be made of who is vote eligible? Consensus: That is knowledge that shouldn’t be public. Flip: If you are campaigning to be a board member you shouldn’t have a list of people to cater to. You should be reaching out to everyone. Kellic: It’s a community group. Lego: There will be a list on the day of that’s not public but it will be known by the election judge.

So in other words, board member eligibility information is considered secret and not public knowledge. Community members are not allowed to know if board members were actually eligible to remain board members or who is eligible for nomination. (Because one of the requirements to be a board member, as I was told, is they have to have their 20 volunteer hours.)

#9469 Quote
    I think what it means is that the over all list is private to protect people, however once you run for office you are considered a publicly known person and that info would be available. Of course it would also be available to the person running since the goal is to let people know if they are eligible.

#9472 Quote
    Actually, you can get a list of US citizens. It’s just usually not worth it.

Let me put this another way. This is not protected information. Every event since tracking of volunteering started has had the names of the people volunteering for the event broadcasted on the forum. Even if this list is kept secret, anyone who actually wanted it could recreate it from the forums with just a little bit of work. It wouldn’t be a perfect list, but it would provide a good estimate.

The thing that concerns me is that restricting the visibility of this list opens up the possibility for abuse. It makes it easier for the people overseeing the list to make adjustments to eliminate people they don’t think are good candidates. And unfortunately, some of the people overseeing the list right now can’t be trusted to be good stewards. I told them I would be keeping an eye on them, and I’m keeping my promise.

This is not a power the board should have. This protection policy does more harm than good.

#9475 Quote
    Okay Cyber, I read and re-read the quoted text and I don’t think your making a proper reference. What I’m seeing as both what Skystrider asked, and what responses were given, were not if the list of eligable board members were going to be made visible, but a list of the public who are capable of voting be made visible.

In other words: Do I want someone coming up to me trying to get my opinion or display interest in what I’m doing because they read off a list I’m an eligible voter, or because they are simply trying to be a good person and demonstrate their compassion for the community? There’s no need for a list of names if all it will do is generate the first scenario.

I’m not harping on you or anything, just saying I think your reference is inaccurate to your actual concerns. Skystrider if your seeing this, can you please correct me if I’m wrong as this was originally your question?

#9478 Quote
    One of the requirements for people being eligible to be board members is they have to be eligible to vote. At least that is what was promised before incorporation. Otherwise you end up with a situation where the qualifications for voting are higher than for getting elected.

So the list of people eligible to vote and the list of people eligible to be elected are one and the same.

Further, the point I tried to make in my previous thread was that this list is not needed in order for candidates to figure out which people they need to cater to. It’s obvious from the forum chatter which people are actively working on getting voting rights.

#9479 Quote
    As Volunteer Dept Lead a primary task of mine is ensuring anyone who wants to contribute is able to do so. If someone wants to get 20 hours and is unable due to no fault of their own (ie asking a month before the next election) then I have not done my job correctly. If any member wishes to know where they stand an inquiry to me will elicit a prompt response. The particulars are currently being hashed out but there will be notifications sent out to volunteers where they are standing, as discussed at the community forum meet and shown in the notes. There is no place for trickery as with each event a member will know what they earned from the event. There will be record of what they were told and when. 

#9481 Quote
    >”And unfortunately, some of the people overseeing the list right now can’t be trusted to be good stewards. I told them I would be keeping an eye on them, and I’m keeping my promise.”

#9488 Quote

@Twisted said:
    Okay Cyber, I read and re-read the quoted text and I don’t think your making a proper reference. What I’m seeing as both what Skystrider asked, and what responses were given, were not if the list of eligable board members were going to be made visible, but a list of the public who are capable of voting be made visible.

In other words: Do I want someone coming up to me trying to get my opinion or display interest in what I’m doing because they read off a list I’m an eligible voter, or because they are simply trying to be a good person and demonstrate their compassion for the community? There’s no need for a list of names if all it will do is generate the first scenario.

I’m not harping on you or anything, just saying I think your reference is inaccurate to your actual concerns. Skystrider if your seeing this, can you please correct me if I’m wrong as this was originally your question?

at the meeting when I asked this my intent was to have some transparency to who is choosing our board and who can run, the “private” list makes it seem like theres a shadowy group of individuals behind the scenes who are choosing the MNfurs leadership.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.