Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

MNFurs Photography Club – June 24th

Home Forums Events MNFurs Photography Club – June 24th

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    May was a busy Month for MNFurs with the Spring Picnic, Community Bowling and a number of other things going on within the local community. So we postponed the Bi-Monthly Photography club outing till June.

We are going to meet up for a late dinner 8:00 pm on Friday June 24th at the Baker’s Square at 2239 Ford Pkwy, St Paul, MN 55116. I’m choosing this location as its almost dead center in between both downtown skylines, in a decent Neighborhood, has its own parking lot and has fairly acceptable food to a variety of tastes.

From there we are planning to take Shepard road into Downtown Saint Paul. At this point I am suggesting focusing on Saint Paul as another impromptu photo shoot came up for Minneapolis last week. I’m thinking the Smith Ave High bridge will be a good place to start. If we have time, and some people wish then those left can explore Minneapolis.

If people have ideas on locations to take night photography please feel free to share here. Please note: We are looking for public places in decent neighborhoods or in high visibility areas.

If you are interested in coming please RSVP. This event is free of charge and open to ANYONE. A RSVP is not required but it helps me keep track of who to look for at Baker’s Square. Once we leave Baker’s Square we are going to be traveling to several locations so it’s going to be very hard to pinpoint where we are going to be. This event is going to require some driving, so Carpooling is not a bad idea.

While a nature shoot was discussed, we decided instead to try for a followup event to the Night/Astral photography we did in March; this time somewhere in the Twin Cities. And that would be for Urban Night Photography.

Some of the most dramatic photos of Downtown Minneapolis and Downtown Saint Paul come from harnessing the artificial light illuminating the Twin Cities skyline. From bridges like the Stone Arch Bridge in Minneapolis to Harriet Island in St Paul night photography with both still and moving objects such as cars and busses in the cities can create a lot

• This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Yarrick. Reason: Changing time due to late sunset
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Yarrick.

-- MNFurs Photography Head--

Want a Photographer at an event? Want to help out with Photography at an event? PM me!

#41757 Quote
    I have this day off for a change! So if nothing changes, I should be able to make it
    #41778 Quote
    There is one place that is VERY photogenic, the Como Zoo/Conservatory.  There is one problem though, they close at 4PM during the weekdays in the summer.  The weekends till 6Pm.  Which is shame because they have a number of events at both places for lots of picture taking!

There are several other parks near by especially the Highland park due East.  We might find a decent place to watch the heavens from there.

#41784 Quote

There are several other parks near by especially the Highland park due East. We might find a decent place to watch the heavens from there.

We are not meeting to Star Gaze this time – that happened in March. This time we are doing Urban photography of buildings and such namely the lit up skyscrapers and bridges downtown. We are embracing light pollution rather then running away from it 🙂

Want a Photographer at an event? Want to help out with Photography at an event? PM me!

#41814 Quote
    Hmmm.  Need to think of unique lighting and/or buildings that would lend to that goal.  And I must admit to no knowledge of that area.   The only area that comes to mind quickly is the Irvine Park near the Science Museum.  Does anyone know of a better easy such local?
    #41816 Quote
    It doesn’t take much to get an interesting photo. This is down town Monticello on one of the main streets. 30 second shutter speed.

These next few I took in downtown Houston from the top of my hotel on the observation deck, but you can easily get this from ground level too.

I’d love to get shots like this and more of the Twin Cities, I have some cool stone arch bridge ones too:)

#41817 Quote
    Also on a side note I am a permit to carry holder and carry every time I’m out with my camera and equipment shy of cons and a few other times, so we’ll have a little bit of added security.
    #42330 Quote

Also on a side note I am a permit to carry holder and carry every time I’m out with my camera and equipment shy of cons and a few other times, so we’ll have a little bit of added security.

Please leave it in the car while in the Restaurant at the very least. And TBH… I’m a little uncomfortable about the idea (Personally). We are doing St Paul and will be sticking to fairly touristy areas in a group.
    At the very least… most businesses AKA restaurants have policies to ban conceal and carry weapons.

#42331 Quote
    Just as a reminder… This is happening on Friday night. However… I am moving the meetup time to 8pm instead of 7:30 pm simply because when we did an impromptu smaller thing in Minneapolis a later meetup time worked out fine. Because this is so close to the longest day of the year… we will likely have lingering light till almost 10pm.

You guys are still welcome to gather at 7:30 if you’d like… but I won’t be there till 8pm.

See you guys there

#42335 Quote
    At the very least… most businesses AKA restaurants have policies to ban conceal and carry weapons.

^ It’s not a legally enforceable policy, they can only ask you to leave if they see it, and if you refuse then you’re breaking the law. But I’m not worried about it either way if I have it or not, the point of conceal carry is nobody will know. Not trying to go against what you said, I understand there are people that aren’t comfortable around firearms, that’s just how I feel. I’ve work armed security for a living for the past almost 4 years, so I’m extremely comfortable with a firearm, and hardly go anywhere without it. I’ve had one too many incidents with close friends (luckily I’ve never personally had anything happen) specifically focused around high end camera gear. Again, not contradicting you and this is probly the wrong thread to explain this is (sorry!).

But also on that note I’ve had to switch my RSVP to maybe, I made some schedule changes recently and may be needed elsewhere Friday. Either way I hope everyone has a great time and gets great shots!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by AtomiK.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by AtomiK.
    #42449 Quote
    You will not need much of a gun or sorts if I’m around.  My size and appearance have been enough to ‘deter’ unwanted elements in the past.

As a added plus I have a co-worker who is a very serious photographer and in interested in joining up.  I gave him the starting location and hopefully we can get another ‘convert’ in time.

#42451 Quote
    Have fun tonight guys, I’m stuck at work….
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.