Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

MNFurs Photography Club – Night Photography! Friday March 11th

Home Forums Events MNFurs Photography Club – Night Photography! Friday March 11th

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Howdy Folks!

So since last month’s Photography Club turned into an impromptu meeting we have decided to try another outing for March. However we are going to do something a little different; and by doing so we need to change the date to a Friday instead of a Sunday.

When: Friday March 11th, 9pm
    Where: Tobies Restaurant 404 Fire Monument Rd, Hinckley, MN 55037 Map (look for the geeks at a table full of camera bags)

March is going to be the last month with cooler nightly temperatures below the freezing mark, but will not be so cold that it will be dangerous to be out for an extended period of time. Cold temperatures allow for longer exposures with less noise for doing night photography.

There are two types of night photography: one using Natural lighting aka Stellar photography and one doing urban photography using artificial light sources (IE Cars, street lights, etc). We are going to target the former which means doing a jaunt outside of the Twin Cities.

This is all very weather dependent. If it is cloudy in one area but not another we may move the meet up location. If its overcast everywhere within 200 miles; I may move the location to doing Urban nightscape photography instead where the cloud cover is irrelevant.

If it is a clear night we will be meeting at Tobies Restaurant in Hinckley, MN right off I35 for a late night bite and to plan the final meetup spot for Stellar Photography.

Whether you are an experienced stellar photographer, or just like to Star Gaze, everyone is welcome to join us. Feel free to bring Telescopes as well as Tripods!

RSVP is nice so I know who to look for. Because of cloud cover and other factors the final shooting/ star gazing area won’t be decided till we meet up at Tobies; simply that it will be in the Hinckley area.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Yarrick. Reason: Updated final details

-- MNFurs Photography Head--

Want a Photographer at an event? Want to help out with Photography at an event? PM me!

#38230 Quote
    Wanting to actually see the Milky Way, Northern Lights etc, I’ve looked, there isn’t really anything close.
    http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html
    #38231 Quote
    Doesn’t look like I’ll be able to make this, but I love night photography 🙂
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by AtomiK.
    #38235 Quote
    You’d be suprised what you can see on a clear night as close to the cities as an hour out. Being in a yellow or green area on that map isn’t the end all be all… get far enough away from the cities that the viseable to the Human Eye light pollution is gone and it makes quite a bit of difference.

I’ve noticed the difference spending a night in the Andover area, down by Zumbro Falls, or Western Wisconsin by say Somerset

Want a Photographer at an event? Want to help out with Photography at an event? PM me!

#38236 Quote
    And as far as Northern Lights go – that’s completely random. There were a few nights (at like 3 am mind you) were the Northern Lights were so bright they were viseable in the Twin Cities Metro and once in Downtown Minneapolis. You could be up at the Canada Border and not see them at all. Typically, they only know hours out how far the Northern Lights are going to extend… so I’ve pretty much given up on trying to set up a photo trip for it…

#38239 Quote
    I’ll try and upload some of my star pictures on here just for motivation, I got an awesome one of the moon this week from right here in Monticello 🙂 the other two I’ll try and add are from up on the north shore near Schroeder
    #38333 Quote
    Have bulb, will photo.

"The problem is not that there are too many idiots in the world, the problem is the distribution of lightning."
    - Mark Twain

#38415 Quote
    I’ve sent a PM to the people RSVPed yes but I’ll post the summary of that here.

I’m looking at three options. The first would actually be in the closest “Dark” area according to the map Buckeye linked which would be 20 minutes due east of Hinckley. It would be in a blue or Dark Blue portion of that map. This would be about a 1.5-2 hour trek from the Metro.

Option number 2 would be the easiest to work logistically and that would be an hour out of the Metro in Western WI. We’d be in the dark yellow area of the map. We’d get Fair results but not much more then the brighter Stars and the moon depending on the Lunar cycle. However I’ve still pulled some neat effects off long exposure with Moonlight here.

Option 3 is SE Minnesota, roughly an hour and a half out for most people. Somewhere East of Zumbro Falls. We’d be in the bright green area of the light pollution map. Constellations should be pretty viseable, but you might not be able to get as much detail as number one. Results should be better then #2.

Any thoughts?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Yarrick.

#38516 Quote
    So! Here are the final details (and I will update the main post too)

From the input of people involved we’ve decided to be adventurous and travel to the nearest Blue (or Dark) area on the Map that Buckeye linked which is just outside of Hinckley, MN

Its about an hour and a half to two hours of a drive from the metro. We will be meeting up at Tobies Restaurant in Hinckely, just off I35 at 9pm. We will grab a late bite to eat/desert and then go over the plans on the exact place we are going to try within the dark area.

Anyone who lives up North of the Twin Cities and enjoys Photography and/or Star Gazing, we’d love to have you join us!

#38583 Quote
    Well I do own a modest telescope that I can bring along.  Though if the parking lot has a lot of lights, we will not be able to see some of the really nice stuff.
    #38693 Quote
    Hi Yarric.

I have a question for your photography people. 🙂

I’m looking for suggestions on a good point and shoot camera with over 21x optical zoom, good in low light, fast shutter for moving targets, and for getting past those pesky fences at MN Zoo.

If you want to contact me directaly my fa is ShadowRunner1

Thanksfor any suggestions.

#38695 Quote
    Sent my thoughts and recommendation to yoy over FA note Shadow 🙂

#38816 Quote
    We are at a table at Tobies in the secondary section near the indoor gazebo. Listen for the Band playing and you’ll find us.

Also looks like its going to be an awesome night for stargazing. Clear, little moonlight and Warm 🙂

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Yarrick.

#38818 Quote
    Have fun out there guys! I’m sitting at work tonight, can’t wait to see some of the pictures 🙂
    #38888 Quote
    It was my first time doing astrophotography. I had good fun and capture some nice photos of the night sky.

I’ve posted them to Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/makalu8485/albums/72157665754676082

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.