Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

My early Christmas present (long story of how I ended up with my new PC)

Home Forums General Discussions Computer, Handheld, and Console Gaming My early Christmas present (long story of how I ended up with my new PC)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    My old desktop has been needing to be retired for quite a while now. I was planning on building a new rig some time around February using my tax return, but those plans changed early this week.

I’ve built a handful of gaming desktops before, and this was going to be the first time I was planning to use top of the line components. i7-6700k, GTX 980 Ti, DDR4, 950/850 Pro SSD’s, basically the whole works. My NewEgg wishlist was sitting around $2300 for the whole deal minus a monitor (since I was still undecided on that). But that’s all out the window now, and I’ll explain why!

On Monday I was browsing Craigslist for 2560×1440 monitors since I want it for not only gaming, but photo editing as I get heavier into my photography stuff. One post caught my attention, titled Serious Gaming PC, so I clicked in. The PC was loaded with almost all of the goodies. i7-4790k, 16gb DDR3, 500Gb 840 evo, 1Tb 850 evo, h100i cooler on the cpu 860w platinum PSU, oh yea, and DUAL EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid water cooled GPU’s in SLI! He was also including his 27″ 1440p 144hz monitor for free due to a purple stripe on the right hand side (one row of pixels), corsair k70 mx red keyboard, and steelseries mouse. And the price? $1600! Now that’s a steal, but no matter what I tried with my budget, I couldn’t swing such a big expense out of nowhere. So I went to bed frustrated, knowing it would sell fast.

Now it’s Tuesday, and I hop back on Craigslist just for fun and was instantly filled with joy. The seller had pulled one GPU and was selling everything else for a measly $1000 (I only say measly due to the system specs). He also listed the extra GPU for $400. That sealed the deal for me. I contacted him and a few hour drive later, I had my new baby in my back seat and a $1400 lighter wallet. I also have zero buyers remorse, knowing how much this system would have cost me to build myself, I got a screaming deal.

So that’s the long and slightly boring story of how I ended up unexpectedly rejoining the PC master race with a bang! My only plans for it right now after a good cleaning are adding a few more fans on the rads for push/pull, adding in the non existant HDD tray and SSD mounts, a little more cable management, and possibly some LED’s to change up the color scheme. Otherwise everything is performing flawlessly and I’m super happy!

So to that, all I have left to say is I hope everyone else is having as good of a Christmas as I am! Merry Christmas to all of my fur family, and enjoy the holiday season!

#36781 Quote
    ALL RIGHT!!!  That was a great story ^_^  Glad things worked out in your favor, Santa Claws must’ve been flying overhead just then!
    #36782 Quote
    I figured someone would find it slightly amusing 😛 I’m pretty sure the big man followed me all the way up there to help the seller deliver it to me lol
    #36783 Quote
    Congrats!

Gaming rigs are always fun toys.

MY RIG:  RIGHT HERE

~ Drake M.

T H €  B | Z   F [] X

RETIRING JUNE 2024

MNFurs Events Department Co-Head - Events are the main driving factors of the organization.  Have an event you want brought to life?  Let us know!

MNFurs Photography Department Staff - Photography and capturing moments is what we do at our events for our community.  Let's chat about your photography needs!

Midwinter Frolic Staff ~ Photography - Midwinter Frolic is a fun winter camping event down at Whitewater State Park.  Attending and have some photography ideas?  Let's chat sometime!

Furry Migration Staff ~ Photography - A will be a wandering staff photographer at FM this year.  Want a photo or two or more?  I'll be around!

MNFurs ~ 501(c3) Non-Profit Organization

#36791 Quote
    I do 50% of my photo editing on an i3 Ultrabook. Photo Editing surprisingly doesn’t need a lot of CPU power. Most modern iX series Intel processors are powerful enough to smoothly do photo editing in Lightroom. The more important factor is the monitor itself. IPS is a must, I won’t edit photos on something that isn’t an IPS display. Luckily these are becoming common in most laptop and tablet screens.

-- MNFurs Photography Head--

Want a Photographer at an event? Want to help out with Photography at an event? PM me!

#36792 Quote
    Up until now I’ve been doing all my editing on my Microsoft Surface Pro. It has a beautiful screen, but it’s small. The only areas I tend to run into speed issues are when I’ve loaded in over 100 photos to lightroom and are switching between them.

Plus the other pivots benefits of having multiple usb ports and a ton of fast ssd storage. I’ll be uploading and editing from the ssd before exporting to a hdd for storage.

My next step is to buy a screen calibration device. While this monitor isn’t ips, it looks beautiful when st up properly. It’s a gaming rig at heart, but it’ll also really help me start getting into my photography much more. A Canon 6d will finally be in my hands come February, and then the real fun begins 🙂

#36804 Quote
    That’s an awesome deal you got on that system!  I don’t have a full gaming rig as I mostly use a laptop with a NVIDIA GT 750M, which does well with most games.  Hope your games run well on your new system!

Augie Doodle

Furry Migration Con Ops Staff (Wandering Host) - Fursuiter - MNFurs Volunteer

#36805 Quote
    I worked really hard to make my case tidy and hide all the wires and that blows mine out of the water 😛

"The problem is not that there are too many idiots in the world, the problem is the distribution of lightning."
    - Mark Twain

#36808 Quote
    Ha you don’t wanna see the back side 😛 I spent about an hour doing my cable routing. I pulled every single one out and the gpu’s, and put everything back one by one in the near fashion it is now. Clean cable management is a pet peeve for me on my own computers lol
    #36823 Quote
    Oh I know, my case has the same panel for doing that.  Thing is a lot of my cables were too short to route back there.

"The problem is not that there are too many idiots in the world, the problem is the distribution of lightning."
    - Mark Twain

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.