Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

New to events!

Home Forums Off Topics and Site Maintance Off topic New to events!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    How does one even go into an even without ever being? I’m considering going to the bowling meet but how do you go about interacting with other furries? This sounds so stupid I know, but I’ve never even met another furry 😔 I have super bad anxiety and for the life of me cannot up and talk to people.. Especially given the fact no one would know who I am.. Any advice would help!
    #49826 Quote
    One thing you have to keep in mind about other furries is any trouble that you might be facing with yourself. They all have either the same or similar issues. Any anxiety or any phobia you have being around people you don’t know they can sympathize with that. So you don’t have to worry to much about coming off as awkward or creepy or any such problem. In terms of approaching them just be yourself, get as goofy as you want if possible. Some might not react as much as others but you’ll find friends just by being approachable. I had to do this when I went to my first con. Most of the people there I had no luck getting to actually hang out with and talk to but eventually I did find friends. Plus getting to know people prior helps a lot as well. The mistake I made was going to that con dry I knew no one which made things worse. But when you get to know people on here that are gonna go then you have an immideant impression which is more comforting I feel and through that it can help ya be a bit more confident in approaching other people. Oh and also, just remember that if someone is fursuiting they may or may not be interested in talking so just have fun with them and make some gestures or something playful. ^_^ Anyway that’s all I have. I hope I helped bring your confidence up at least a little. But I’ll most likely be attending the meet with some friends so if I do. I’ll see ya there, and I wish you the best of luck at your first meet. 🙂

PS:If it also helps I actually made a similar thread about this in the unrelated discussions section. If your interested you should go check it out. Lots of people gave such wonderful advice there as well.

#49828 Quote
    I’m having the same issue, I haven’t gone out to meet people for a long time and the realization hasn’t crept up on me until recently when I wanted to go to Superbowl as well. My advice to you is to become friends with someone who is going, that way you’ll at least have a go to buddy if you can’t open up to others and they could maybe help you open up as well.
    #49829 Quote
    Hey there Ammit!

The other 2 responses are helpful so thank you for those Hunter and VIB.  First off, you are not alone as putting yourself in a new situation, like an event, can be scary and even more so not knowing anyone.  The main and important item is to be yourself and act like how you normally do when interacting with people you do know.  Start off by maybe finding someone in suit, introduce yourself, and start some small talk and same goes for anyone else.  I know this may be easier said then done, but once you get yourself comfortable interacting, even it’s brief, it will help you get out that shell more.

Also, you are more than welcome to find me at any time if you have questions or just need someone to talk to to.  I setup and host these bowling events so just ask for Drake if you make it out.  🙂

~ Drake M.

T H €  B | Z   F [] X

MNFurs Events Department Co-Head - Events are the main driving factors of the organization.  Have an event you want brought to life?  Let us know!

MNFurs Photography Department Staff - Photography and capturing moments is what we do at our events for our community.  Let's chat about your photography needs!

Midwinter Frolic Staff ~ Photography - Midwinter Frolic is a fun winter camping event down at Whitewater State Park.  Attending and have some photography ideas?  Let's chat sometime!

Furry Migration Staff ~ Photography - A will be a wandering staff photographer at FM this year.  Want a photo or two or more?  I'll be around!

MNFurs ~ 501(c3) Non-Profit Organization

#49831 Quote
    Hi Ammit!

Everyone here was at some point new to attending events. It’s bowling, so that means it will be a much higher percentage of fursuiters. There are still going to be plenty of people without suits. I myself haven’t decided if I’ll be fursuiting or not. If not, I’ll probably be wearing a furry badge that will help identify me.

My advice – try not to overthink it. You could walk up to anyone and start by saying, “Hi, I’m Ammit. This is my first time at a furry event”, and I’m pretty confident that whoever you talk to would do their best to make you feel welcome. As I said before, everyone was “the new guy” at some point.

I’m looking forward to meeting you. If you want to chat at all before the event, my messenger info and other online hangouts should be located beside my post. ^_^

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.