Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

New to the Fandom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Hello, Greetings

Where to start… Well I can already tell this well probably sound like a rant :P. Trust me 99% of the time Im not this “Formal” or write this much on posts. I really hope to meet and make some new friends.

I first discovered that furries excised or was a thing  when I was in Highschool. A friend of a friend was one and had those Sexual pictures as his phone background. I wont go into to much detail as I don’t want to digress. From this I actually found out a little of what a furry was and stuff. For a long time since that point I always thought that being a furry was Yiff like the person I knew of in highschool. Needless to say that made me view Furries in a more negative light.

However since that point to current I have done more research as to what a Furry is. Even after having that encounter in highschool I never really thought, oh all Furries are the same. I don’t mean to boast but I like to keep my mind open and “Hear things out” As I know one persons definition of something can differ.  After looking through and reading lots of forum posts (Thanks Google) recently I have learned a lot about Furries, or at least the Fandom (Thanks again google and websites like this). I learned that the Fandom is vast and there is a overwhelming amount of information as to what can make up the Fandom. From what I read there is no clear definition of a Furry. No, Your a Furry if… From reading many people made it clear that the tests you can take to see if your a furry or not are not accurate or at least don’t define you. You choose if you are a furry or not, as simple as that. At least thats what people said in forums and such. I found this to be both awesome and infuriating. I wanted to know for sure and have confirmation if I was a furry or not!

There were posts where (example: I think Im a furry, I like Anthro bla bla bla.) I read through a few of these and could gleam several commonalities to myself. I absolutely love Dragons including Anthro. I also like a large majority of Anthro art. Really anything that looks like the artist took there time to create the masterpiece, I loved it. (I guess I am wandering into some details of myself by now, opps.) I just like art, mostly Digital fantasy styled art and I can appreciate it.

So when I realized that I like or associate much of what it seem the Fandom is, I asked myself. Am I a Furry? Course from what I learned about the Fandom said you are a Furry if YOU want to be. Im nervous and uneasy about it, part of me wants to be a Furry!

But then I get this uneasy feeling and thought, You just learned about this, don’t rush right into this fandom without thinking about it!

Thing is, Iv been thinking about this more heavily over the past couple of weeks. (And some since I discovered the Fandom in highschool).

I want to be a furry, but that uneasy feeling gets to me. I think of what if someone finds out I am a Furry, then again its not like its a huge deal if they did.

Another thing I learned is that, You don’t have to tell people your a furry. Not that I plan on ever just walking up to people and saying “IM A FURRY”. I felt like I needed to include this part as I have a feeling someone that comments might bring it up?

I worry that if I am a furry or at least me wanting to be a furry that My friends might think of me negatively. Then again, my friend group are a bunch of weirdos and nothings normal about that :P. Basically what Im saying is, these are very close friends that we have all come to form a tight group.  Anyways, I know this but I feel like eventually my friends would find out and telling them ahead of time would somehow make it better? (Get the Elephant out of the room so to speak?)     I guess I just worry to much?

Wow… That is a long rant. I apologize but I feel like when I join a Fandom or a community that I should at least state what I think about the Fandom?

Thank you for those that actually read through this, again Im sorry that its so long. Suppose the writer side got the best of me. After stating all that I really do want to be a Furry, or at least A Furry Fan. I like all the different art styles, and really enjoy the Fandom so far!

I don’t really have a Fursona? I don’t think I do, unless you count my Profile Picture. Ill leave a link :P. For now Ill just use it as my online Persona.

http://azir-novo.deviantart.com/art/Novo-The-Void-Walker-585859913

So I guess…Hello everyone :3 *Waves Nervously and hides under wings a bit* Im a new Furr ball to the Furdom (Fandom? Eh bad Joke lol). Im up for chatting and maybe Rping when I get more comfortable here. Make some new friends?

-The Void Walker

#45085 Quote
    Hi, Novo. My name is Aerak; one of the staff here.

I think you are overthinking things. Furries aren’t anything special. What I mean by that is, our group has huge similarities with any other geek group out there. Anime, sci-fi, steampunk, superheroes… take your pick. We have artwork. So do all of those other fandoms. We have costuming… so do all the other groups. When you think about it in those terms, furry actually is pretty relateable to what much of the main stream is involved with. Comic book movies and tv shows rule the media. Comic con draws thousands upon thousands of people, including celebrities. So explained in the right way, furry is not extraordinary in the slightest.

If you want to be a “furry” then you are a furry. Most likely you already are a geek, so, surprise, it just means you are still a geek and nothing really changes. Once you figure out that almost everyone is a geek, things get much easier. MNFurs works with all the other geek groups in the area – Geek Partnership Society, Anime Twin Cities, even the Science Museum – to name a few. Our members help at local conventions like Convergence, and Anime Detour. And non-furries from those geek groups help with our events. So like I said… we are part of a larger community.

If you ever want to chat more about it, feel free to message me on Skype or Telegram. =)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Aerak.
    #45087 Quote
    Yeah, After I finished Writing it all out I realized it made it sound like I was Overthinking it. Which I can see I was Opps! I know its not anything to overthink(Worry,stress) about. As you said, I think I just have to get over myself more and realize there isnt “Extraordinary” to it. I guess Im just really Nervous about fitting it :P. Should I rework or remove this Post? Incase it sounds to…er Overthinking-ish?

I Hope I fit it and get to know some people 😀 Just a bit nervous.

Also Im new to Telegram and don’t fully understand how to add people.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Novo.

-The Void Walker

#45089 Quote
    Hello Novo, I am SpidyTheWolfy but call my Spidy.

As of overthinking, I was scared to tell my friends that I am a furry, but after it got out… well they made fun of me. they still do, but if there true friends they will support you. I go to cons with my Fursuit and they yell at me to put it on…

But in the end I was laphing with them.

^^

SpidyTheWolfy

#45091 Quote

Yeah, After I finished Writing it all out I realized it made it sound like I was Overthinking it. Which I can see I was Opps! I know its not anything to overthink(Worry,stress) about. As you said, I think I just have to get over myself more and realize there isnt “Extraordinary” to it. I guess Im just really Nervous about fitting it :P. Should I rework or remove this Post? Incase it sounds to…er Overthinking-ish? I Hope I fit it and get to know some people  Just a bit nervous. Also Im new to Telegram and don’t fully understand how to add people.

No worries. Try not to be too nervous. We are a very accepting group.  Also, all you have to do to add me to Telegram is click the telegram icon on the left side of this comment, located under my avatar =)

#45092 Quote
    Welcome welcome!!

Im a total trash mammal.

#45093 Quote
    Hello Novo and welcome to MNFurs!

My name is Drake, another one of the MNFurs staff members.  Let us know if you have any other questions!

~ Drake M.

T H €  B | Z   F [] X

RETIRING JUNE 2024

MNFurs Events Department Co-Head - Events are the main driving factors of the organization.  Have an event you want brought to life?  Let us know!

MNFurs Photography Department Staff - Photography and capturing moments is what we do at our events for our community.  Let's chat about your photography needs!

Midwinter Frolic Staff ~ Photography - Midwinter Frolic is a fun winter camping event down at Whitewater State Park.  Attending and have some photography ideas?  Let's chat sometime!

Furry Migration Staff ~ Photography - A will be a wandering staff photographer at FM this year.  Want a photo or two or more?  I'll be around!

MNFurs ~ 501(c3) Non-Profit Organization

#45100 Quote
    Welcome to the community Novo!

Electronic Music - EDM, Industrial, Synth
    Nocturnal
     - You will rarely see me during the day, I work nights
    Demi-Sexual - Fun first, flirt later
    Foodie - Food Adventures constantly, not a fan of fish though

#45104 Quote
    Hi there, I’m LGslam. Welcome to MNFurs, it’s nice to meet you. *extends paw out*
    #45105 Quote
    Hey dude!! I’m SilverStitches~

I understand the feeling at first. I was nervous about what other people thought, then, I just went EHHH who cares what other people think! I’m having a good time being me and that really all that matters if its good harmless fun! Which honestly it really is despite what rude assumptions some people make… So if you’re really close with your friends then you shouldn’t have to worry, they’ll love you no matter what! I had to knock some of the myths down myself for some of my friends, but in the process they realized they were/wanted to be furies too! You never know what might happen! ; 3

(and honestly, you don’t even need to “label” yourself if you don’t want to!)

The kind of fart that sounds like a question

#45106 Quote
    Thank you :D. *Shakes LGslam’s paw*

And Thank you Silver, Im growing to be more accustomed to the fandom and very slowly making some friends. (I recently told some of my friends and they were more accepting then I was expecting.)

-The Void Walker

#45113 Quote

Thank you :D. *Shakes LGslam’s paw* And Thank you Silver, Im growing to be more accustomed to the fandom and very slowly making some friends. (I recently told some of my friends and they were more accepting then I was expecting.)

AWESOME! I knew they would be. Nerds are nerds are nerds

The kind of fart that sounds like a question

#45128 Quote
    Hello Novo,

I can relate on the “what if somebody finds out” and not telling others of being a furry. Because it’s true, there is a huge negative stigma of Furry Fandom, I just don’t want people to generally know that I find the fandom interesting and that I’ve felt I’m part of it for years. Only this year did I come out to look on the forums and learn about this Minnesota group. Even then, I took something like 4 or 6 months before I actually made a post and said hello, even though I had been lurking with an account made. As things are, I still don’t share I’m a furry. I feel it’s too personal to me and I just don’t want to risk the negative reactions.

I must say, however, that my first MNFurs event was the 2016 fall picnic. Just knowing everyone there somehow associated themselves with the fandom made me feel really safe and comfortable. I’m not good at going up and meeting new people. But there was a common ground, I’m also looking to make new friends, and I want to have an outlet for the fandom and get myself more involved with this part of myself. I’m finally having art made of ideas for my fursona (which I took years to discover even after knowing I was a fur). I’ve made it to one of the bi-weekly meet ups as well. It’s just a group of people hanging out because we have a reason to. It was great to feel I could be safer if I want to talk tails and ears, or arts, or costumes, and mention fur without fearing hateful or misinformed reactions.

#45129 Quote

Hello Novo, I can relate on the “what if somebody finds out” and not telling others of being a furry. Because it’s true, there is a huge negative stigma of Furry Fandom, I just don’t want people to generally know that I find the fandom interesting and that I’ve felt I’m part of it for years. Only this year did I come out to look on the forums and learn about this Minnesota group. Even then, I took something like 4 or 6 months before I actually made a post and said hello, even though I had been lurking with an account made.

I remember when I made my interests in the fandom public to my immediate family and other family in general…I just ended up composing and posting a thread about it on my personal FB.  Everyone was accepting with it and even though my immediate family did not really understand, they accept it because I do and that I made something out of it based on my current position and standing in the community.  I also accept that many will not understand it and probably not agree with it, but I am okay with this…It all comes down to just respecting that I, and many others, have interest in the fandom and that interest makes one happy and more comfortable.

As far as the whole ‘what if someone finds out’, I use to be very wary about it, but overtime it came to the point that people can learn to accept or don’t…If someone does not agree with it then that is where respect comes back into play and just respect that I have that interest and do not speak negatively about it.  People outside the furry fandom can think it’s weird all they want, I just don’t care as it’s a fun interest for me and love being part of it.

Before moving to the cities back in 2012 I was a closet fur for the longest time and MNFurs brought that out and provided many opportunities that I worked hard on.

On an ending note, I hope you are able to find your footing in the MNFurs community, I hope you are able to make many new friends and be part of a group of friends, I hope that people respect you and everything you believe in, & I am always around for questions/concerns when they arise as an MNFurs staff member!  😀

~ Drake M.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Drake M..

T H €  B | Z   F [] X

RETIRING JUNE 2024

MNFurs Events Department Co-Head - Events are the main driving factors of the organization.  Have an event you want brought to life?  Let us know!

MNFurs Photography Department Staff - Photography and capturing moments is what we do at our events for our community.  Let's chat about your photography needs!

Midwinter Frolic Staff ~ Photography - Midwinter Frolic is a fun winter camping event down at Whitewater State Park.  Attending and have some photography ideas?  Let's chat sometime!

Furry Migration Staff ~ Photography - A will be a wandering staff photographer at FM this year.  Want a photo or two or more?  I'll be around!

MNFurs ~ 501(c3) Non-Profit Organization

#45718 Quote
    If I’ve learned anything over the last two years, it’s that hiding who you are is a damaging thing to do. I’ve been in the closet for 30 of my soon to be 33 years on this Earth, and my life is remarkably better now that I’m not anymore. I have lost friends and family members and yet I would gladly come out again. I don’t shout to the world that I’m gay, but I don’t hide. My boyfriend and I do everything that a straight couple does. I hold his hand and kiss him in public. At first I was very very nervous to do so but then I realized that I was not going to waste my life worrying about what people thought of me. It’s my life and I am going to live it to the full because I am who I am and I deserve to be happy. I’m not harming anyone, either. Neither are you.

My family knows I am also a furry, and they don’t care. Some of my friends are very supportive, too.

I imagine many of us are introverts. I sure am. I used to be very nervous wearing my Chip and Dale T-shirt at work, where I’m a mechanical engineer. But I eventually worked up the courage and now I wear Disney shirts all the time, have a Chip and Dale coffee mug, and have a little stuffed wolf on my desk to cheer me up when I get anxious or scared. Nobody ever made fun of me. I got a few compliments, even. They know I’m gay, too, and that went over well as I found some supporters and everyone else treats me just the way they always have. It feels so good to just relax and not hide.

I very much sympathize with the poster here about the “what if people find out” fears. It is scary and in my case, potentially life-threatening. However, my advice is to simply be yourself in all things. The closet, be it rainbow or furry, may offer temporary safety but you lose a lot of joy by staying in it. Start small and work your way up. When I get my wolf tail I’m going to wear it around the house for a while and will wear it to the library where I do my sketches while I wear my Chip and Dale shirt. Sounds like fun 🙂

That being said, I would never judge you if you did choose to stay in the furry closet because I totally get the fear and anxiety. I just want to encourage you to step out of it, if and when you’re ready. Feel free to send me a PM if you’d like.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Tyrell.

Engineer by day, artist by night.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.