Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

Snowshoeing at Afton State Park – Sunday February 26th

Home Forums Events Snowshoeing at Afton State Park – Sunday February 26th

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Cybergarou 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    I would like to invite anyone interested in snowshoeing to join me at Afton State Park on Sunday, February 26th 2017 for a bit of tromping around in the snow. (Assuming we have a decent snow pack, we’ll just go hiking if we don’t.) This is the first of a series of outdoor activities I’m going to be organizing over the course of the next year.

We’ll meet at the visitor center at 10am and go out on one of the park’s less traveled trail loops. We’ll return to the visitor center for lunch (bring your own food) and then we’ll head back out and hit the more popular loop. The first hike will include some steep terrain while the second loop will be more level. Depending on how fresh the snow is, the park can be picturesque in the winter.

You are allowed to bring dogs with on the snowshoe trails, but be aware that pets are not allowed inside the visitor center. Please follow all park rules regarding pets, including cleaning up after them and keeping them on a leash.

A vehicle permit is required to enter the park. If you don’t have one, a day permit is available for $5. If you are interested in these kinds of events I recommend getting an annual permit. They are currently $25 but they will be going up to $30 later this year. Not all, but many of my activities are going to occur at state parks.

If you don’t have snowshoes, you can rent a pair at the ranger station for $6 for the day. There should be plenty of snowshoes available, but I can’t guarantee availability if there are a lot of people at the park that day. Snowshoes aren’t required to participate if you prefer hiking without them.

To sum up:

Time 10 AM for first hike, maybe 12:30 for second hike.
    Vehicle Permit Costs $5 for a day pass $25 for an annual pass $o if you have a pass already
    Snowshoe Rentals $6 for the day $0 if you own a pair already
    Food Costs You need to bring your own food and beverages.

Finally, a statement regarding fursuiting. I’m going to discourage fursuiting for safety reasons. The terrain may involve slick spots that you wouldn’t be able to see in a suit. You won’t be turned away for bringing a fursuit, but I will ask you if you are sure you really want to risk wearing it on the trail.

• This topic was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Cybergarou. Reason: Funky Formatting
    #46430 Quote
    This sounds absolutely fun, and gives me double the reason to finish my snow shoes
    #46432 Quote

This sounds absolutely fun, and gives me double the reason to finish my snow shoes

I don’t know yet if we’ll do more snowshoeing this winter, but we definitely will have more opportunities next winter. As such, a workshop to teach people how to make snowshoes is something I would like to have happen sometime this year. I’ll talk to you more about that later on.

#47012 Quote
    Love it. Though, given weather trends it looks more like it will be a hike. Which suits me fine no snowshoes. Marked in the calendar.

I'm just a Hodgepodge.

#47033 Quote
    The La Nina weather pattern that was supposed to give us glorious amounts of snow and cold fizzled out on us at the end of last month.

In fact, the park has reopened the ski trails to hiking since there’s not much snow right now. I don’t expect that to change in the next two weeks. This happened last year when I went winter camping at Afton and I still had a great time. I managed to hike just fine without ice cleats, but the park does recommend them to make things easier. If you have them bring them, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to get a pair if you don’t.

#47045 Quote
    Oh wow, that really sounds like fun! Consider me interested in any future activities!

EDIT: I just read- you’re thinking about a snowshoe making workshop? Please let me know about any available information!

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  Lovelait.
    #47108 Quote
    I’m sure everyone has heard about the record highs we are going to have during the next week. I’m actually finding the weather for next weekend to be more interesting. We currently have a big snowstorm expected for next weekend. It’s still too early to put any confidence on a snowfall amount, but current predictions are in the range of 1 to 2 FEET of snow.

Keep an eye on the weather and I’ll post again closer to next weekend, but even if we fall short of that total we are still looking at some ideal snowshoeing conditions. A fresh layer of snow will also be very scenic.

#47262 Quote
    It was looking good for a while there, but we didn’t get the snow I was hoping for. Afton has 2 inches of snow right now. That’s not really enough for snowshoeing, but we’ll still go hiking. We have access to all of the trails right now and the snow should still make for some good scenery Sunday. I’ve taken some very nice winter pictures in this park.

We’ll meet inside of the visitor center at 10 AM. If you miss us, we’re going to hike the Deer Valley Loop first so you can catch up with us by hiking from junctions AQ to C to A. Maps are available at the ranger station.

#47263 Quote
    I’m kinda glad we didn’t get the snow because I am driving to the cities today. It’s a bit of a shame because showshoeing is fun, but I like hiking too! See you there.

Music makes the world go around!

#47277 Quote
    Thanks to everyone who showed up to hike today!

I’m going to organize another hike in April, and then things will pick up a little bit more after that. At some point I’m going to make a thread to cover what I’m planning for the rest of the year and get some input on some other things people would like to see. I have a few ideas for a variety of activities that I think will work for us.

That snowshoe making workshop is probably going to take place in the summer so we can work outside. I know of a non-traditional design that is cheaper, easier to make, and has less maintenance required. They just don’t have the same aesthetic appeal of wood snowshoes. More information will be made available later.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX