Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

Winter parade this year?

Home Forums MNFurs Discussions Winter parade this year?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Just as the title says..  I was wondering if we were going to be in the Winter parade this year like last year.
    #9221 Quote
    Seconded. Would like to know, it was a ton of fun last year, and itd be good fun to do again =3

Wut o.o

Im Sike AND Banana

#9222 Quote
    Would be interested in knowing also as i was unable to attend last year due to a rabbit appointment, but I am guessing it will be a no go as I believe registration for the winter carnival parade probably closed as of yesterdays (The 28th?) But I will keep an eye out on here to see if this thread goes anywhere on this, I am curious.  🙂 
    #9224 Quote
    To answer all of you on this that is a no.

I was planning on leading it this winter, but due to some paper work complications with their coordinator and other things that do not need to be mentioned, it’s not happening this time.  Sorry guys!

Hopefully in 2014 it will happen for sure.

~ Drake M.

T H €  B | Z   F [] X

RETIRING JUNE 2024

MNFurs Events Department Co-Head - Events are the main driving factors of the organization.  Have an event you want brought to life?  Let us know!

MNFurs Photography Department Staff - Photography and capturing moments is what we do at our events for our community.  Let's chat about your photography needs!

Midwinter Frolic Staff ~ Photography - Midwinter Frolic is a fun winter camping event down at Whitewater State Park.  Attending and have some photography ideas?  Let's chat sometime!

Furry Migration Staff ~ Photography - A will be a wandering staff photographer at FM this year.  Want a photo or two or more?  I'll be around!

MNFurs ~ 501(c3) Non-Profit Organization

#9228 Quote
    To elaborate a bit on what Drake said, the winter carnival is now requiring all groups, regardless or whether walking or having a float, to have event insurance.  Unfortunately this insurance is very expensive and we cannot budget for it at this time.

I have loved doing this parade and I always come away from it with fond memories.  This would have been my third year being involved.  I wish it wasn't so but it looks like our group is going to have to sit it out for this year at least.

#9230 Quote
    How much is very expensive?  ByCats4Cats could sponsor the event insurance.

Furry Migration Staff (Volunteers) & MNFurs Board Member.

Posts on the MNFurs forums are of my own opinion and do not reflect that of MNFurs or chartered events unless otherwise stated.

http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Snap_E._Tiger

#9234 Quote
    all registration info is available here http://www.winter-carnival.com/_asset/7k1j5m/wcapp.pdf

Its due Jan. 2nd so still time. ? I think. Correct me if Im wrong.

Wut o.o

Im Sike AND Banana

#9235 Quote
    then again… $80 to register and costs of insurance… is it REALLY that necessary to pay for a little bit of attention that really does our group no good other than self gratification?

Furry Migration Staff (Volunteers) & MNFurs Board Member.

Posts on the MNFurs forums are of my own opinion and do not reflect that of MNFurs or chartered events unless otherwise stated.

http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Snap_E._Tiger

#9236 Quote
    Snap E. Tiger said:

then again… $80 to register and costs of insurance… is it REALLY that necessary to pay for a little bit of attention that really does our group no good other than self gratification?

Don't know about the self gratification part of that, but to go and entertain people in general, it might be worth it? I mean as a group we do that anyway and when we go to do Hotel events Or any other public event to be honest, is it really all that different?  We pay money to rent a space and then act silly amongst ourselves and the other people of the hotel (Or wherever we happen to be, like at the christmas party at the Geek Center when we crashed that dinner christmas party and livened things up for them for a little while) getting pics taken with us and generally making people happy and or excited.  🙂  But I do see a little where you are coming from too, people do suiting in public places for different reasons, some do it for the fun and entertainment, others do it for recognition or as you put it “Self Gratification” 🙂 

#9243 Quote
    The event insurance is the big issue.   A quick quote came at 400-800$.  We may be able to find this a tad cheaper, but add into the 80$ to register and we were looking at a minimum likely at least 450$ price tag.  The winter carnival has interest from out community, it was fun, and it it was good publicity…but bang per buck, sadly, is likely better spent elsewhere.    

This bring to note a recent conversation at community about what MNFurs sponsors (and spends “marketing money”) and why.    It is a culmination of interest, cost, and impact. 

BTW…If you have never been to a community meeting but do want input into MNFurs events, please go to next one on January 7th or use the census! 

As for the Winter Parade…We have a good deal of interest, but not so much that individuals doing it wanted to burden entire cost (or at least as of last community meeting).

At same time, as I understand it, the board did not believe it was fiscally prudent to spend too much time to research and get a final bid when it was so close and impact seemed limited.  They have many other projects on plate (like how to track and award volunteer hours for events and services.  if you want input to this, go to the January 7th community meeting where they are taking input)

In the end, what appears to have killed what was a great developing event for the MNFurs was the parade organizers instance on insurance (likely due to their own insurance requirements ironically).  Fiscally prudent, but unfortunately, really hurts as it leaves smaller group like ours out.  Our hope is we may be able to get some major sponsors in upcoming years to support our group or have our group work with another group to split cost and maybe make this a reality again.

#9244 Quote
    browsing the web at a glance It would probably be ballpark $200+ minimum to get the insurance needed to do the parade, plus 80 for the registration, etc

Im a bit inclined to agree that it might be a bit too pricey, even if its nice PR for the group, especially if we walked more than 1 parade.

#9267 Quote
    If anyone here is interested in doing some research on other parades, feel free to do so.  Many of the counties in the metro have their own year-round and maybe we can get in on one.  Maybe there are some more this winter or we can find a spring or summer parade…I may look into this at some point so whatever I am able to find I will share in this thread.

~ Drake M.

T H €  B | Z   F [] X

RETIRING JUNE 2024

MNFurs Events Department Co-Head - Events are the main driving factors of the organization.  Have an event you want brought to life?  Let us know!

MNFurs Photography Department Staff - Photography and capturing moments is what we do at our events for our community.  Let's chat about your photography needs!

Midwinter Frolic Staff ~ Photography - Midwinter Frolic is a fun winter camping event down at Whitewater State Park.  Attending and have some photography ideas?  Let's chat sometime!

Furry Migration Staff ~ Photography - A will be a wandering staff photographer at FM this year.  Want a photo or two or more?  I'll be around!

MNFurs ~ 501(c3) Non-Profit Organization

#9271 Quote
    North Metro furs is already going to be working on either being in Coon Rapids or Anoka's Summer Parade for 4th of July festivities.

Ill also be looking into the annual Anoka Halloween parade as well and seeing if thats a possibility but one way or another there will be AT LEAST 1 parade from North Metro furs in 2013 happening

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.