Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

Your writing

Home Forums General Discussions Writing Your writing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Hi! πŸ™‚ I would like to know a little about you and your writing

1. Do you post your work anywhere, if so where?
    2. What got you into writing, how old were you when you started, how many years have you been writing?
    3. What is your writing style or types of writing you do?
    4. Have you ever been published or do you ever want to be published?
    5. Have you ever had writers block, and if so how did you get out of it?

my answers

1. yes I post on DA >>Β http://beddoe17.deviantart.com/gallery/
    2. I was in middle school when I first started, I’ve written for 15 years now, and I started for a way to express my emotions.
    3. I write poetry and Short stories
    4. no, but hopefully some day πŸ™‚
    5. Yes, and im still currently stuck in it :/

~Taste the Rainbow ;)

#43982 Quote

-Generally I don’t post much of what I write… when I even write, but if it’s something I like I’ll usually put it on my website… when I even get to updating that.Β http://www.masonleider.com/2009/07/h3c-prologue.html [link to one of the things I’ve worked the most on even though I abandoned it long ago]

2.Β What got you into writing, how old were you when you started, how many years have you been writing?

I’ve liked writing ever since I realized I liked creative stuff in school (second grade) and found out I was decent at writing (junior high). There’s not much time in adult life to continue writing big pieces, but I exercise my abilities as much as I can.

I’m told my writing is very rich in imagery; that I have a very colorful way of portraying a scene. Of course I like to vary how I write and what context I write in, but generally that stays constant, in addition to my clear affinity for storytelling.

I’ve had a few short stories published in small journals, and anything I post online I suppose counts as being “published,” but outside of that I don’t feel a need to have my work officially recognized. When Machinima was first starting to be a big thing on youtube, the story linked above was going to be the script for an actual series. Even though it never worked out, that’s about as close as I’ve gotten to getting big time recognition.

One thing I’ve been told works is to just sit down and start writing. Doesn’t matter what, just start putting words on paper. For that matter, try writing on paper, with pen. Paper puts the words immediately in front of you, and pen means you can’t second guess yourself and move backwards. With pen you can’t erase, you can only keep writing more. The messier your page looks, with scratched out words and notes all over the margins, the better writer you are because you put that much more creative energy in your work, I say. The second thing I’ve always been told helps with block is taking a break; doing something different; resting your mind; forgetting about your work long enough to get inspiration from something else entirely.

Personally though? Keep writing. Don’t ever stop. If you stop you can find it hard to pick back up, and that’s when writer’s block sets in. If I’m on a roll I keep going, and block never seems to hit me. It also helps a bit if you have some clear inspiration, whether that’s a subject matter, a context you’re writing in, or a someone. If you have something good to work off in the first place, the writer’s block keeps away I feel.

Here’s a piece that’s not on my website that I do intend to finish at some point eventually probably if I get to it sometime. This is the origin andΒ taleΒ of Kha’jiri, a khajiit character I’ve adapted for useΒ inside Skyrim, D&D, and Elder Scrolls Online,Β and the guild he created in the land of Tamriel which I currently run in ESO (and yes, playing him in D&D was part of the inspiration for my snow leopard fursona):

And so it appears I shall be writing the story of how the guild began in the stead of Magicka’s esteemed Kha’jiri. One need not read it all, or any of it should they not want, but it may give some insight into Magicka’s foundations, or if nothing else, at least provide for an entertaining tale.

The beginnings of Magicka are in fact tied in with the journey of our favorite guildmaster, but as he appears to be off on some other adventure, and as I was one of his earliest companions, he thought I might be a good teller to tell his tale. He also tells me how difficult it is to write with claws, but as to how true that is I could not tell you. While you needn’t know much about me, know that I was at one time known as Hirauth, and I have journeyed with Kha’jiri under cities and over mountains. While we may not see much of each other these days, there is none who knows the cat-man better than I.

PART 1

Our tale begins in an alien country; a land quite different from Tamriel. It had mountains and ocean to the north, farmlands to the east, a great forest to the west, and desert lands to the south. The Silver King ruled this land from his palace in the silver city, just below the mountains, and civilization emanated out south from there, from the cityfolk and craftsmen in cities like Ragoran to the farmers in the open country, to the nomads wandering the open plains and desert.

Of course Kha’jiri is a Khajiit, just as much as those from Tamriel. While his race was quite uncommon in the silver kingdom – these cat-men were not even known as Khajiit in this land – there was a smattering of clans of his kind who lived in the northern mountains overlooking the land. It was one night under the full moon in that pale white snow that Kha’jiri was born, under the name Moonfur, named for the color of his bright white fur, most unlike the grey and brown Khajiit of his village.

The night of his birth was an auspicious one. Like his uniqueness in appearance, Kha’jiri was born with a special attunement to the natural energies of the world. From early on it was clear that he had some strong magical aptitude, and so he was given up to the village shaman to be trained. The shaman taught him many things: spells and rituals, hunting and crafting, and everything else he would need to survive in his cold mountain home.

Before he even reached his teens, Kha’jiri was given his last test of training. He was to travel out into the mountain wilderness. There in his solitude, he would live off the land, and learn the ways of nature firsthand. Once finished, he would be able to return to his clan a full adult, and be ready to keep their mystical rites as his teacher did.

It was in this time of training Kha’jiri learned to fully tune his talents. He learned to control the wind, brighten fires, breathe frost – even harness lightning. He lived among the wildlife, befriending many animals in the cold, hunting others when necessary. He developed the ability to transform his shape, and even focused his ability to read and speak several otherworldly languages. There was time when he would create, time when he would train, and time he would simply take to meditate.

But as often happens when fortune would have it, tragedy took this time to strike. A rival clan of Khajiit to the north and the east was wanting for food from their poor harvest. Though weak from hunger, they were known in the mountains for their strength not only in combat but in numbers, and Kha’jiri’s home village was not. The rival clan attacked, taking the resources they needed and killing those who got in their way.

Kha’jiri’s parents were killed in the attack, but by the time he returned from his wilderness solitude, his training complete, it was too late. The village elders had already made a treaty with the invaders. While Kha’jiri’s kinsmen did not lack for fighters, and there would be loss of life on both sides, Kha’jiri’s clan would not survive an all out war with the rival clan, and what they really wanted was food to feed their people – not death. They would receive a part of the southern village’s harvest, and in return, no more fighting would occur.

Naturally Kha’jiri was angry. His parents were dead, murdered, and the elders opted for appeasement. But he would not jeopardize any more lives of those he grew up with. Just the same he could not stay and lead them like his teacher. Instead, the cat-man returned to his hut in his winter solitude where he would have lived out his days as a hermit… were it not for three youths not too long after.

These children, not yet out of their teenage years, were brash and arrogant. They were from the rival clan. They knew their clan had better fighters, and could easily overcome Kha’jiri’s clan, but did not know the restraint of their elders, whose goals were already then accomplished. When they arrived at Kha’jiri’s meager hut, it was not for need of supplies. It was not for diplomacy. It was for the fun of it. They quite simply wanted to harass that which they presumed could not retaliate, and the weird hermit living by himself was easy pickings. Or so they thought.

As Kha’jiri learned much later, sitting on grief only breeds more grief. Anger begets more anger, and hate begets more hate. When left alone and bottled up, emotions tend to bubble and expand, until one day someone pops the cork.

Kha’jiri came back from his hunt that one day to find these three sneaking what little he had from his shack. He saw their distinctive markings and knew they were from the clan that killed his parents. His white fur rose with the prickling of electricity, and the first was immediately struck with lightning, killed on the spot. The sky quickly grew dark as storm clouds gathered while Kha’jiri approached the other two children. They were unable to move, stunned. The next Khajiit kid was thrown up into the storm by vicious winds, whether torn apart by the whipping razors of the tempest or tossed to his death below Kha’jiri did not know. The third then regained his voice, but his cries for mercy could not be heard over the roaring wind. On his knees, the imposing silhouette of Kha’jiri loomed over him. All the youth could see from beyond the darkness were two glowing yellow eyes. The shadow reached forward, and sending forth a stream of lightning, burnt down to ashes the weak cat before it.

The storm clouds could be seen for miles, and the cracks of thunder heard throughout the peaks above the silver kingdom. Kha’jiri’s clan easily knew something had happened, and it was by no long shot that the other khajiiti village would notice three of their own missing soon enough. Our Khajiit took what little scraps he had left from the scene – at this point little more than the hide clothing he had on his back – and made the trek back to his home village.

When the elders gathered, Kha’jiri told them what had transpired. While a few were somewhat sympathetic, the council was horrified. The Khajiit knew himself what he had done was far beyond appropriate, by any definition. Kha’jiri knew his village would not survive another invasion, and so he proposed the only solution that made sense: exile.

Before he left, he met with his teacher. The shaman knew Kha’jiri to not be wholly evil, but his actions were not right. Something did have to be done. The mentor taught Kha’jiri one last ritual. It was not much, but it would help him survive the dangerous journey down the mountains into the mainland. There Kha’jiri could seek out the silver king.

Now if you think Kha’jiri is clever, you’ve easily never met his teacher. The shaman was very wise, and it was he who suggested to Kha’jiri that he find the leader of the land. Kha’jiri could gain support for his village so that they may be free from the other Khajiit clan. He could indeed bring his entire race into recognition, and redeem himself.

It was with this farewell that Kha’jiri bid his teacher adieu. With his goal in mind and just his clothes, a ritual book, and an old dagger, he left down the lonely mountain trail from his village into the cities below.

PART 2

It was not long after this I met Kha’jiri for myself. You see, after making his way into the mainland, he had troubles interacting. I mentioned before that Khajiit were quite uncommon in this country; as you can imagine, his feral and rugged appearance would scare most people off, or provoke them to attack, like a werewolf would in Tamriel. Of course Kha’jiri did not possess the best diplomatic skills either, which could be attributed to a number of factors.

But he was turned away at every stop – not only from gaining audience with the silver king, but from even entering the cities around the capitol. It was after these many defeats that he ended up wandering along the edge of the border towns, and in turn entering the tavern where I was enjoying a much needed break.

It was something to see: a rough and worn man, covered in fur and with the head of a beast, clothed in skins of animals he had hunted, with a dagger in his belt and a staff in his hand, standing in the doorway with his back to the dark night. But the tavern patrons were either too simple or too drunk to care, so as Kha’jiri walked in he was only greeted with suspicious glares from the bouncers.

In a bold move the clearly socially inept cat walked straight up to me, and sat down across from me at my table in the corner. Perhaps he perceived me as less of a threat, as I was likely just as imposing as he was. Perhaps it was my own staff at my side – I learned later that Kha’jiri crafted his rough hewn walking stick out of a pine he came across on his way down the mountain, and was in the process of learning to use his powers with a staff. Whatever the reason, I was curious about this strange creature before me. Naturally, I called over the barmaid for a couple of drinks.

The barmaid brought over the drinks, and I took a sip of mine – but Kha’jiri – the awkward fellow didn’t so much as take a sip; he just kept looking straight into my eyes, unblinking.

Suddenly he reached down at his coin purse. Obviously something was amiss, as he stood up and his gilded eyes darted across the room. They landed on a table of obvious drunks laughing and slapping their table, near the door. Without a word to me he walked up to them and demanded they return the money they stole from him.

Kha’jiri was treated with a round of guffaws, so he said “I’ll only ask you one more time. Return my gold.” He must have made a funny face trying to look intimidating, because the buffoons only laughed again, even harder.

As little as I knew about this cat-man, I was intrigued, and I kind of felt sorry for him. So before Kha’jiri lost his temper I got up and walked to the table myself.

“Return his money before it must be taken from your cold, dead hands,” I said. This must have been quite scary to the men. I was clothed in dark leather armor surrounded by a black shroud, and my own eyes glowed yellow on my hooded face, with an additional faint yellow from wherever my magical tattoos adorned my body. One of the drunks turned instantly pale, another fell off his chair, a third pissed his pants, and the last was at least visibly disturbed.

“We don’t have any of your money,” the fourth man said, managing a shaky chuckle after he said it. Kha’jiri would have none of it. With a crack of lightning, he split the table and sent half of it – with one of the men – flying across the room.

I could now see that the fourth man was a sorcerer, as he started to conjure up some magic. I pulled my rapier out from under my shroud, but Kha’jiri needed no help. A blast of cold wind blew the table’s other half into the sorcerer.

“Bob, no!” said the man who had peed his pants. Kha’jiri shot him with lightning and the man was fried, nothing more than a normal human drunkard.

The last of the intoxicated men was crawling away.

“It was just a joke… a prank… why?…” he was crying.

Kha’jiri probably would have killed him too, had I not put my hand on his shoulder. The bouncers – more like armored guards – had drawn their weapons and were closing in.

“It is time to leave,” I whispered in Kha’jiri’s ear. Close to the door, we started backing away. “We will leave,” I announced to everyone, “It would be wise not to pursue us.”

Though I hardly knew this strange creature, I found myself jogging along with him into the woods outside the tavern. There we introduced ourselves: Him as Moonfur, the cat-man from the mountains seeking audience with the silver king, and myself as Hirauth, what would be known in Tamriel as a Dunmer, at the time on the run from dark forces. Kha’jiri’s money, he had found, was fully intact. It would appear that the sorcerer had magically lightened the coin purse as Kha’jiri entered the building, a simple prank on the worst possible target.

It appeared mutually beneficial to travel together, at least for a time, so we agreed. I would help him reach the king, as far as my ability would allow, and he would assist me in keeping off my pursuers.

But Kha’jiri had one thing to do first…

He worked his way back to the tavern, crouching low and keeping to the trees, and I followed. We could both see, under the light from the tavern’s windows, the sorcerer, Bob, and his surviving friend. Clearly sobered up from the events prior, they were washing up with water from a barrel.

“Let me handle this,” Kha’jiri whispered to me.

He crept low to the ground, along the tree line, until he was just across the dirt road from them. Kha’jiri leapt up from the brush and sent a lightning bolt straight into the sorcerer’s friend. Before he could turn around, Bob was covered in the ash of his last companion from that night. He was horrified, but mustered what focus he had and started summoning his magical power. But Kha’jiri was already ahead of him. The Khajiit summoned a flame atronach shaped like a great hawk, and sent it flying into the sorcerer. The blast was loud and bright, and the flames spread even to the tavern wall Bob was beside.

But unlike his friends, Bob was no normal human. Covered in the ashes of his companion, and set ablaze by Kha’jiri’s fire, while hurt, he only had a visage of anger. The sorcerer charged into the barrel of water, busting it open and dousing himself, and started stalking toward Kha’jiri.

The cat-man was unfazed. He called down thunder and struck the soaked sorcerer.

Bob fell, but was not dead. Kha’jiri walked back to my spot in the trees, Bob unconscious and the Tavern burning down behind him, and said “Let’s go.”

PART 3

I do not know if “funny” is the right word… but it is funny how such a violent experience where so little was shared could form the bond it did. Despite all things, I would from then to now consider Moonfur a friend, and I’m sure he’d say the same of me. A friendship for life, formed over the destruction of a tavern and nearly killing some man named Bob (and actually killing several of his friends)…

Anyhow, we actually ended up travelling south, away from the capital city, avoiding as many towns as we could for a while to keep from getting arrested by those who might recognize us from the wanted posters.

And that’s where I’ll end it.

…Trust me, it gets a lot less dark later. I’ve told the story several times at this point, I just have yet to write it all down, with proper editing and such.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Marg. Reason: Edited for formatting
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Marg.
    #43997 Quote
      Not in a long time. Β Most of my writing lives safely on myΒ Google Drive. Β There is one work posted online, but as it is of a mature nature I generally don’t go linking people to it.
    2. What got you into writing, how old were you when you started, how many years have you been writing?
      I think I was in 2nd grade when I got my first writing assignment that I really enjoyed. Β We were tasked with writing a scene from a book from the perspective of one of the other characters and, me being the silly one, chose the family dog. Β This was before I was awakened to furry too lol. Β I’ve been writing on and off since, whenever an idea grabs me.
      I’ve done poetry but mainly I write prose. Β I’ve had ideas for longer works but when I sit down and try to write them something causes them not to live up my expectations and they get sidelined or, more frequently, abandoned.
      I was approached once with a request to have one of my works published, but though I gave permission it never happened. Β I have an idea for a story series that I’ve been trying to get started on for some time that I believe is publish-worthy, but I’m having trouble getting started because I keep changing my mind on the setting/history of that particular world.
      All the time. Β When that happens I set the work aside and purposely don’t focus on it for a while. Β When I come back to it later I’m usually refreshed with new ideas on how to fix the corner I’ve written myself into, or continue the story. Β The downside is there are times I just never come back to the works and when I look over them later I either don’t can’t remember my motivation or it’s not a story that interests me any longer.

"The problem is not that there are too many idiots in the world, the problem is the distribution of lightning."
    - Mark Twain

#43998 Quote
      • I do. It’s in a multitude of places so a direct link to one website wouldn’t serve well. Some poems are on my Deviantart, but the majority of my writing would have to go to my blog http://demieuj.blogspot.com/ or on some social media sites.
      • What got me into writing was actually inhibited by my teacher, not onΒ my own personal account. It wasn’t until the sixth grade that I truly pursued the art of the literary form. My teacher observed me throughout the year, acknowledging my writing style, ambition, dedication and general creativity. She knew something was there, a light waiting to shine. In her words, writing was how I spoke, for I was a reserved and observant individual at the time. It wasn’t until the end of the year that that imaginative spark ignited beyond the classroom. Her request, albeit a simple one, stuck with me. “Whatever it is that you do, whether it’s a book, movie, video game, I don’t care; Give the first copy to me.” From then on I worked on one project, my current novel “Sketches”, to not only appeal to her desire but on my own will to bring the foundation to reach my created universe beyond the horizon.
      • I vary quite dramatically. Wherever is an opportunity to express myself is a home for innovation. I have done fiction, nonfiction (journalism, journaling, memoir, bios, prose, etc.), short stories, poems, elaborate text messages and so forth.
      • In fact, I have been, or I should say, will be published in an online local magazine next month for a poem and an art piece! You can soon find the article on http://bluemarblereview.com/ alongΒ with a few more art pieces in the first issue. I’ve also been published several times for poetry and art at my high school’s newspaper and on their online address (which I formerly managed). My current novel, once it is complete, will shoot for either self-publishing or to publishers, depending on how the future plays out.
      • In truth, I don’t experience writer’s block often, if at all, due to me expressing my soul via journaling. This is an escape of the mind, healing the day away, mending my literary bones, to clear the attic for more inspiration and creativity. Thus, I worry not about what to write; Inspiration always finds a way when the mind is willing.

I believe that wonder is the insight to discovering more of the world than we can ever imagine possible.

#44011 Quote
    wow thank you for the lengthy response! I will defiantly try to ideas for getting through writers block. its so interesting to see the diversity between all of us. I wish you the best of luck with all your work.

~Taste the Rainbow ;)

#47752 Quote
    1. Do you post your work anywhere, if so where?Β Yes, I post on Wattpad: https://www.wattpad.com/user/ApolloKingen and I also self publish some books, although I am trying to work on writing longer ones. You can find me on Lulu.com (Sierra Kingen)
    2. What got you into writing, how old were you when you started, how many years have you been writing?Β I have always been into writing since the moment I could read. I enjoyed creating characters that could go on grand adventures and do incredible things. I have been writing since I was seven years old (I am now 22). I wrote short stories mostly, but in eighth grade I wrote my first novel. That sparked my writing passion even more. I have joined many roleplays online as well that have made my writing go out further. I am currently still working on finishing my books.
    3. What is your writing style or types of writing you do?Β I mainly write fantasy novels. I enjoy the aspect of creating my own world and what happens in the world. I enjoy making things happen that could never actually happen in real life. I am trying to get more into modern type writing, and even some young adult writing (like a short story about my cat and her dramatic life.)
    4. Have you ever been published or do you ever want to be published?Β I have self-published, but that is as far as I have gone. My dream is to one day professionally publish a book.
    5. Have you ever had writers block, and if so how did you get out of it?Β YES. I have been stuck in one for about a month now! I just got out of it because the warm weather has let me go outside and be somewhere other than stuck indoors. I have been able to get new ideas. I listen to music a lot too and set up my scenes based on the mood of the song. So, if there is an action scene, I will put on some epic music; whereas, if there is a sad scene, I will listen to sad music. That has really helped me.

I hope that I can find some writing, furry friends that would love to either write together or just talk about our writing!

#47755 Quote

Long pieces I don’t post.Β  I started posting one on my FA account (mouring), but deleted it as most folks were there for my photography.Β  I’ve done a few photography/micro-stories, and at least one is still on FA.

Family. It was a way to improve my writing. It worked mostly–when I focus and care. =) And I’ve been writing since elementary school.Β  So over 20 years.

Modern Fantasy or sometimes called Contemporary Fantasy.Β  I’m fine with mixing magic, mythical, and technology in a modern setting.Β  I have a few horror stories and one high school romance in my collection.Β  The pieces that are outside of Modern Fantasy are the results ofΒ  National Write a Novel in a Month(NaNoWriMo).Β  As I use to pick 2 – 3 random topics and force myself to write in that style or genre.

Once for Misfit’s writing contest. I wouldn’t mind being published more widely, but it isn’t high on my list at this time.

I rarely get traditional writers block.Β  The closest I get to it is when starting a story. I may go through 10 to 20 versions of the initial paragraph to get a solid starting point.Β  The shorter the piece the high number of re-writes I have as I find the right combination of view point, starting point, and other narration aspects.Β Β  I tend to save each version until I get it right and then tease out critical ideas from the false starts for other aspects of the story.

Normally, if I get a block it is more in story setup.Β  I tend to write down characters, critical story events, and critical world details before writing.Β  It isn’t a full outline.Β  I tend to refer to it as “mile markers” as they can changes, but they are designed to me heading forward.

The major advice I have for writers block is two fold.
    – Do NaNoWriMo … 30 days, 50,000 words. You don’t have time for writers block.Β  You just write even if it is utter dribble.Β  It breaks you out of second guessing yourself when you realize you have to write 1,666 words per day. =)
    – To dovetail into the above… Write… You can throw it away or rewrite it later.Β  Some of favorite scenes came from just impromptu writing where I was just trying to connect two major events.
    – (Bonus) If you are stuck on a scene, move to another one.Β  You don’t have to write from Page 1 to Page 1,000.Β  Write what is in your head.Β  Even if it is pieces of chapters that you have floating in your head.

#48367 Quote
    Hi back!
    1. I post a lot of writing! I have ADD, and writing helps me focus. My PG 13 stuff in on FurAffinity username: Pflarrian, my NSFW stuff is on FurAffinity username: Felarr_Lenasi.
    2. I was a History Major in college with several would-be minors (never did manage to learn Latin or Greek). I got used to churning out 10-12 page essays in a few hours and browsing webcomics or furry fanfics during my downtime. In 2001, right after getting my B.A., I lost my job. I was unemployed for almost a year (the economy wasn’t horribly good), and to keep from going insane I started writing some of my story ideas down.
    3. I focus on Fantasy, Slice-of-Life, and a smattering of Sci-Fi. I’m also working on turning the setting of my semi-regular D&D campaign into a series of Gazetteers so my players are a little more prepared. It has nothing to do with my inability to remember who was King of Kalidmar from month to month…
    4. Yes, I HAVE been published! My first (furry) novel, based on some of my earlier writings, came out in January! πŸ™‚ The Mask of Bone. It is available through iUniverse.com, Barnes and Noble, Amazon, or at the Source Comics and Games.
    5. Writer’s block? Oh, you mean that obnoxious cubic thing that distracts me and keeps me from progressing with a story plot? Sometimes I stop writing and do something else for a week or so. Other times I switch to a different story I’m working on. Focusing on other storylines sometimes helps me consider something I overlooked. … That said, at least once I just plain had to scrap a storyline and start over. Don’t ask. I’m not proud of it.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.