Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

Candidate Announcement(s)

Home Forums MNFurs Discussions Candidate Announcement(s)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Hey everyone, this forum post here is for any and all candidates to announce themselves and give their reasons as to why you should vote for them, and for everyone to ask them questions. Fire away, and good luck, candidates!
    #38298 Quote
    *Steps into the light and blinks a few times as he lets his eyes get used to the spotlight*

Hi all, The Name is Unico and I am giving a try running for the board.

Many of you have seen me around, I mean a white Unicorn is kind of hard to miss.  🙂

I hope that if i am elected i can further help the community out as i have been part of this group for at least 15 years now and have seen many good events, I figure this is my chance to try and help out.

I am not going to promise things I can not do, I will say that I will look at things like I would in a fursuit analogy of someone mentioning they are having problems with their suit.  I will do my best to look at the problem and see if there is a way I can repair what is coming undone and then do my best to try and make sure the problem doesn’t happen again if possible.

This will be my first time in trying for such a position so there will be lots for me to learn if I am elected, I hope to be a louder voice for the community to try and get things passed onto the board about concerns or problems that are being seen.

Thanks!

#38301 Quote
    Hello there! I like the prompt from last year’s board election, so I decided to fill it out myself. If anyone has any questions/concerns, please let me know either here on the MNFurs site or on Twitter, @JacATK.

Tell us about yourself

My name is Jason though on the internet I go by my initials, Jac. I’m not really an anthropomorphic tabby cat but I play one online. I’ve been involved in the local furry fandom for a couple of years now, starting out volunteering as a badger at Furry Migration. These days, I help out MNFurs with social media and some website administration while also co-heading Operations for Furry Migration. I have volunteered for various events throughout the year ranging from inspecting robots, cleaning duck pens, setting up lighting for a stage, and organizing volunteers for a neighborhood business and art fair. I enjoy helping out where I can and being the jac(k) of all trades!

Why do you wish to sit on the MNFurs board?

I wish to sit on the board in order to better serve our community. I see the role and responsibility that the board brings and I believe that in order to better benefit our community, there needs to be more people that will stand up and say, “I will help.” Here I am, taking that stand, and offering to do my best for the community.

How will you continue to volunteer in the community after being elected to the board?          

Instead of helping out here and there and events, I will have a more constant presence in the community and doing my best to represent MNFurs and everyone involved.

What brought you to the furry fandom?

In retrospect, I have always loved anthropomorphic characters, especially cats. My two favorite famous cats are both from newspaper strips, Garfield (Garfield), and Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes.) What truly attracted me to the fandom what the unfathomable amount of creativity that everyone has. I joke that I’m an art addict (I’m not kidding), and that’s what caught my eye many years ago. These days, I love seeing the smiles of people’s faces as we’re out at various events, whether it be a convention, the local zoo, or a parade. People love seeing fluffy characters around and being able to hug them and interact with them, reminding them that we can all have fun and express our inner creativity.

Who/What is your inspiration in life?

My inspiration in life is those who picked me up when I fell, who saw my potential and never gave up on me. It those who mentored me through the roughest parts of my life and passed their knowledge and wisdom onto me that I am truly grateful for.          

Being elected to the MNFurs board makes you a public figure. How will you adapt to that?       

I’ll be very honest, I’m nervous. I have always operated behind the scenes, making sure everything works behind the curtain. I view this as a new chapter in my life and a new experience I’m ready to tackle. While I may not be fully ready for the spotlight, I am excited for what new challenges and adventures will come.

What message do you have for the MNFurs community?

While the board is an important part of the community, it’s only five people. I’ll make mistakes, I make a decisions that some won’t agree with, so I ask that you all help us out. Tell the board when you like and don’t what’s going on. Show up to the community meetings and let them know what you think. I wish to see the community step up and help out to further, coming up with new ideas and events, with the board providing the tools and means to do so. I look forward to the opportunity to potentially serve our community, and to what the future may bring!

#38326 Quote
    Good luck Unico and Jac!  🙂

~ Drake M.

T H €  B | Z   F [] X

RETIRING JUNE 2024

MNFurs Events Department Co-Head - Events are the main driving factors of the organization.  Have an event you want brought to life?  Let us know!

MNFurs Photography Department Staff - Photography and capturing moments is what we do at our events for our community.  Let's chat about your photography needs!

Midwinter Frolic Staff ~ Photography - Midwinter Frolic is a fun winter camping event down at Whitewater State Park.  Attending and have some photography ideas?  Let's chat sometime!

Furry Migration Staff ~ Photography - A will be a wandering staff photographer at FM this year.  Want a photo or two or more?  I'll be around!

MNFurs ~ 501(c3) Non-Profit Organization

#38389 Quote
    At this time, the candidacy period has now closed, and it is my pleasure to announce that we have five candidates! These candidates are:

Unico
    Jac
    Krios
    Flip
    Charles

They have all accepted nominations to run for the board and you, the community, will get to decide which two will sit on the board of directors at the end of this month! Candidates, thank you for your willingness to help, and I think I can speak for everyone that we are eager to see and hear from you.

#38493 Quote
    I do hope that Charles, Krios, and Flip will answer the questions answered by Jac otherwise I do not know how one could consider them serious candidates.

I would also like to see the questions answered more thoroughly by Unico.

The question I would like to pose to the candidates is this:

We have a very diverse Community in many ways… how do you see bringing our members closer in spite of this diversity. Including, acceptance of the various types of diversity. I have noticed that there are members who have learning disabilities, social phobias or lack of social skills. How will you attempt to encourage embracing these individuals and helping them feel more comfortable in our Community?

At this point the only person I have enough information from in order to consider voting for him is Jac. I do hope the rest of you will step up to the plate and share your thoughts my question as well as the ones below:

Tell us about yourself

How will you continue to volunteer in the community after being elected to the board?

Being elected to the MNFurs board makes you a public figure. How will you adapt to that?

Thanks so much for doing this. I am sure there are many others who are newer to the Community who need more information in order to make wise decisions.

Amethyst

Help me remember that nothing is going to happen to me today that You and I together cannot handle!

#38503 Quote
    “how do you see bringing our members closer in spite of this diversity. Including, acceptance of the various types of diversity. I have noticed that there are members who have learning disabilities, social phobias or lack of social skills. How will you attempt to encourage embracing these individuals and helping them feel more comfortable in our Community?”

In the case of diversity there is no set in stone way of dealing with so many different situations, each situation requires a different approach when it comes to the details, in general I would carry an open door policy that I will do my best to help in the community for the new arrival people to the group.  I have worked with people that have had learning disorders in my job and sometimes even through the scouting program.  I know when I first viewed the group I was unsure of things, but after a few people opened up and were friendly I felt more comfortable and started attending the meets more regularly and the events.

I will do my best to be friendly to the newcomers to the group to try and assist them in feeling more at home in the community. 🙂

#38521 Quote
    Tell us about yourself

I’ve been involved in con and community groups for a long time, and I love creating spaces and events where people can be themselves without shame or petty games. Watching people connect with like-minded lunatics doing what they love – that’s how you build communities like this, and it’s a hobby I love.

The con is generally healthy, but the Board’s programs are struggling a bit just now in their efforts to build the organization’s mission. I’m hearing some encouraging things, but all around me I see people concerned. We need to build our staff (and future Board members!), reduce the amount of work it takes for the Board to function internally, and redirect that energy out into the events and people that got us started in the first place. I’ve helped make this happen before, and I know we can pull it off.

I see no reason to stop doing anything. I’ll continue to support the convention, which I’ve done in various ways since its earliest days. I’d like to get more involved in building some ongoing activities. There are many furs out there who don’t know we or groups like us exist, or how to connect with the community.

I’ve always been a fan of anthro characters and the ways you can tell jokes, stories with them. Grandma claimed I was going to grow up to be either Bugs Bunny or Kermit. So I (like most of us IMHO) started out furry.

Later, after a gaming night a friend shared her copies of some of the new furry comics out there, including Omaha. This took things to a new level, and grownup stories, even adult ones, could be told with the character types I already loved. I’m in.

Later still, I connected with the local furmeet and got to know some really great people, and was motivated to roll up my sleeves and see where I could help. The rest is history.

People. I really do enjoy talking to people, working with them, helping and problem solving. They make me a better person, especially when we share challenges. What really animates me is seeing people connect with their passions, finding community, and generally giving themselves permission to be awesome.

Leaders can’t solve everybody’s problems, or make things happen just because it’s a great idea. But they do have to listen to those problems and ideas, and be creative to do as much as you can, for as many as you can. Board service is not a lofty title but hard and often messy work, and it is Service, not monarchy. It means being objective, not placing your personal tastes, friends or issues in a privileged place. That means remembering none of this is about me as a person or a leader, but about the group as a whole.

We rock, and we shouldn’t forget that when we disagree. This is an amazing collection of people with stunning talents and wonderful ideas. Regardless of what brings you to the community, or what challenges you may face, you deserve to be treated with respect. Diversity isn’t a thing we overcome, it’s a power we harness. If you want to come play, we need to be welcoming; if you want to watch and enjoy, or participate in a quieter way, you’re absolutely just as welcome as someone who volunteers all the time.

The biggest thing I want to work on is communication. I think we need to work on establishing some better communication patterns, and that goes both ways. Better ways for people to talk to the organization, and for the organization to get information out to the community of which we are a proud part.

#38542 Quote
    This format works as well as any other.

How do I promote diversity and acceptance?
    I have a long term approach to acceptance. I’ve spent most of my life on the “outside”, may it be with RPG’s in the 80’s, homosexuality and Anime in the 90’s, and Furry of 2000’s. I found being sincere, well versed and patient is best approach. I tend to be tolerant, but also force people to aware of their actions. I can be harsh on deliberate missteps, but be forgiving and graceful when those missteps are truly realized and effort is made to rectify. I avoid the extremes of “the ban hammer” for minor indiscretion or artistic disagreement, but will always confront willful belligerence. In the end, I do see myself as accepting and encouraging personal expression, as long as it appears to aid in responsibility and growth.
    Tell us about yourself.
    Who am I? I’m a 43 year old greymuzzle, not a real fur to some, relic to others. But I’ve also been in the Fandoms of Anime, gaming, science fiction, historical recreation, cinema, comics and Furry my entire life. I’m also active member of LGBT and alternate lifestyles. I’ve seen it all. I’m a little jaded, but also have context to sympathize (or have caution) with just about anything. Want to know more? Feel free to email me a specific question or look at my bio.
    I was nominated, I had the hours, I accepted. I’ve worked with non-profit boards before; I’ve seen and survived the growing pains of other fan groups. I can foresee some problems to avoid and be patient enough to ride through minor incidents when others see disasters which must be run from. I feel an obligation to serve but will admit I prefer to work on the convention instead. I’m glad to see there are other candidates.
    I do tend to be more of a literary, art history and comics fur. Fursuits are wonderful as street theater, but I have personally drawn to the more literary forms. I find literary and graphic art approaches more socially challenging and culturally changing. I will continue to volunteer and promote not just furry, but all fandoms in which issues of social justice or cultural growth are addressed.
    I had a love of anthropomorphic art when growing up. Disney, Aesop, WB, MGM, etc. When I grew older, I realized that myth and animistic religions played the same game as the cartoons of my youth, but told more complex and adult stories. Then in the early 90’s came across Funny animal/Furry fandom here in Minneapolis. Been in and out of it since then, but started to take greater intrest as it grew in prevalence in the mid 2000’s.
    Feel free to ask why for anyone on this list: Neil deGrass Tyson, Teddy Roosevelt, Roy (not Walt) Disney, C.S. Lewis, Leonard Nimoy, Reed Waller, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Rachel Carlson, Arthur C. Clark, Mahatana Ghandi, Rosa Parks, and my Crazy Aunt Mellissa™.
    Not a lot. I neither shun nor desire the public eye. Community is job one and I’m just am a service to that. I ask people to engage and am more than willing to jump into, or out of, if necessary, any discussion. I’m comfortable speaking in front of youngsters to seniors, authorities and just the passerby. I’m not afraid of difficult subject matters and fearless in standing with conviction, done so my whole life.
    As a candidate, I may be not what you want. I can promise nothing nor do I have personal agenda outside of promoting and developing furry fandom into a greater art form. It took many years for science fiction to be seen more than pulp, comics more than just cartoons, anime more than just silly cheap stuff from Japan, Video Games to be more than just an electric gimmick for kids. Furry is at that cultural cusp, I have no doubt in my mind this is true. It takes the development of the art form and its corresponding fanbase to make it culturally important and even necessary. This is why I believe MNFurs exist, and this is what I hope to serve. I’m hoping my experience, knowledge and effort can somehow aid that.

#38546 Quote

“how do you see bringing our members closer in spite of this diversity. Including, acceptance of the various types of diversity. I have noticed that there are members who have learning disabilities, social phobias or lack of social skills. How will you attempt to encourage embracing these individuals and helping them feel more comfortable in our Community?” In the case of diversity there is no set in stone way of dealing with so many different situations, each situation requires a different approach when it comes to the details, in general I would carry an open door policy that I will do my best to help in the community for the new arrival people to the group. I have worked with people that have had learning disorders in my job and sometimes even through the scouting program. I know when I first viewed the group I was unsure of things, but after a few people opened up and were friendly I felt more comfortable and started attending the meets more regularly and the events. I will do my best to be friendly to the newcomers to the group to try and assist them in feeling more at home in the community. :)

Thanks Unico for more info — I have known you for some time, but we hadn’t really talked about this kind of stuff!

Amethyst

Help me remember that nothing is going to happen to me today that You and I together cannot handle!

#38547 Quote

This format works as well as any other. How do I promote diversity and acceptance?
    I have a long term approach to acceptance. I’ve spent most of my life on the “outside”, may it be with RPG’s in the 80’s, homosexuality and Anime in the 90’s, and Furry of 2000’s. I found being sincere, well versed and patient is best approach. I tend to be tolerant, but also force people to aware of their actions. I can be harsh on deliberate missteps, but be forgiving and graceful when those missteps are truly realized and effort is made to rectify. I avoid the extremes of “the ban hammer” for minor indiscretion or artistic disagreement, but will always confront willful belligerence. In the end, I do see myself as accepting and encouraging personal expression, as long as it appears to aid in responsibility and growth.
    Tell us about yourself.
    Who am I? I’m a 43 year old greymuzzle, not a real fur to some, relic to others. But I’ve also been in the Fandoms of Anime, gaming, science fiction, historical recreation, cinema, comics and Furry my entire life. I’m also active member of LGBT and alternate lifestyles. I’ve seen it all. I’m a little jaded, but also have context to sympathize (or have caution) with just about anything. Want to know more? Feel free to email me a specific question or look at my bio.
    I was nominated, I had the hours, I accepted. I’ve worked with non-profit boards before; I’ve seen and survived the growing pains of other fan groups. I can foresee some problems to avoid and be patient enough to ride through minor incidents when others see disasters which must be run from. I feel an obligation to serve but will admit I prefer to work on the convention instead. I’m glad to see there are other candidates.
    I do tend to be more of a literary, art history and comics fur. Fursuits are wonderful as street theater, but I have personally drawn to the more literary forms. I find literary and graphic art approaches more socially challenging and culturally changing. I will continue to volunteer and promote not just furry, but all fandoms in which issues of social justice or cultural growth are addressed.
    I had a love of anthropomorphic art when growing up. Disney, Aesop, WB, MGM, etc. When I grew older, I realized that myth and animistic religions played the same game as the cartoons of my youth, but told more complex and adult stories. Then in the early 90’s came across Funny animal/Furry fandom here in Minneapolis. Been in and out of it since then, but started to take greater intrest as it grew in prevalence in the mid 2000’s.
    Feel free to ask why for anyone on this list: Neil deGrass Tyson, Teddy Roosevelt, Roy (not Walt) Disney, C.S. Lewis, Leonard Nimoy, Reed Waller, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Rachel Carlson, Arthur C. Clark, Mahatana Ghandi, Rosa Parks, and my Crazy Aunt Mellissa™.
    Not a lot. I neither shun nor desire the public eye. Community is job one and I’m just am a service to that. I ask people to engage and am more than willing to jump into, or out of, if necessary, any discussion. I’m comfortable speaking in front of youngsters to seniors, authorities and just the passerby. I’m not afraid of difficult subject matters and fearless in standing with conviction, done so my whole life.
    As a candidate, I may be not what you want. I can promise nothing nor do I have personal agenda outside of promoting and developing furry fandom into a greater art form. It took many years for science fiction to be seen more than pulp, comics more than just cartoons, anime more than just silly cheap stuff from Japan, Video Games to be more than just an electric gimmick for kids. Furry is at that cultural cusp, I have no doubt in my mind this is true. It takes the development of the art form and its corresponding fanbase to make it culturally important and even necessary. This is why I believe MNFurs exist, and this is what I hope to serve. I’m hoping my experience, knowledge and effort can somehow aid that.

Thanks Flip for your introduction, it was very helpful as I really don’t know you and Charles very well.

Amethyst

#38819 Quote
    This is a question for Procyon and Uberhill. I think you are both amazing candidates, and I think you both have a unique set of skills and experience that you bring to the table. The two of you are also in a relationship, which of course, in no way excludes you both from running for the board, however it does bring up possible conflicts of interest. With that in mind, here is my question:

How will your relationship with one another affect your performance on the board, and, presuming a member of our community came to you with concern on this topic, what would you tell them?

#38829 Quote
    Hi again!

I am disappointed; we have not heard from Krios — has he dropped out?

I agree with Aerak regarding Flip’s & Charles’ personal relationship.

Also, if only Charles is elected, how will he make it to all the meetings when he doesn’t drive — that seems as though it could be a major issue.

Amethyst

#38830 Quote
    I also have to comment on the procedures (as I understand them)

People can vote this evening at the Meet — before seeing the interaction that will happen at the debate??

It seems to me that this is not a good idea — I thought this last year and I need to reiterate it again this year!

There are people who are more comfortable with the written word and with touting all their accomplisments and experience and others who are not as comfortable with this method of introducing themselves. At this point there will be people voting with just the information written here or maybe some one-on-one conversations. Or worse yet, voting for friends — thus making it a popularity vote instead of a vote for the best candidates who have the best interest in the Community (IMHO).

I do not believe anyone should be allowed to cast a vote until they see the debate (either in person or via social media)! Watching the way the candidates interact at a debate and answer off-the-cuff questions presented to them are integral parts of knowing who to vote for.

I would definitely like to see this change for the next election!

Amethyst

#38831 Quote
    We have talked about this.  To be fair, back in the day, when group was just forming, we talked to you and Alkora that really only one of you should be on that initial board for exactly the same reason.  Turnabout is fair play.   Charles and I both accepted our nominations with this concern but, at the time, we believe no one else was running and much rather this slight ethical issue than the issue of an empty board seat.   However, it turned out we have many great candidates and that reason is really no longer there or valid.  Point taken.

With all that said, I feel I must withdraw my candidacy.  I’m doing this before Charles gets a chance (he worked last night and currently asleep) as personally I Feel he can do a better job at board level as he has more experiences with these things than i do.    I do thank the person who nominated me and hope this does not upset you.  But this is a valid issue that, although not excluded by bylaws and not sure even should be, is one that i think is addressed by me now with erring on side of caution.  If people wish to discuss or even remove such concerns with future candidates, that is a good discussion for the community to have.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.