Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

Candidate Announcement(s)

Home Forums MNFurs Discussions Candidate Announcement(s)

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

I also have to comment on the procedures (as I understand them)
    People can vote this evening at the Meet — before seeing the interaction that will happen at the debate??
    It seems to me that this is not a good idea — I thought this last year and I need to reiterate it again this year!
    There are people who are more comfortable with the written word and with touting all their accomplisments and experience and others who are not as comfortable with this method of introducing themselves. At this point there will be people voting with just the information written here or maybe some one-on-one conversations. Or worse yet, voting for friends — thus making it a popularity vote instead of a vote for the best candidates who have the best interest in the Community (IMHO).
    I do not believe anyone should be allowed to cast a vote until they see the debate (either in person or via social media)! Watching the way the candidates interact at a debate and answer off-the-cuff questions presented to them are integral parts of knowing who to vote for.
    I would definitely like to see this change for the next election!

Wanted to speak up on this – our original intent was to do an earlier debate, however due to the late nature of candidates being nominated and accepting, there was almost no time that we could expect a decent turnout that another event was planned. (Case in point, we had to extend our nomination period a full month when we had none at our normal ‘finish’ time.) It was only through the grace of the Community Meeting runners that we got time and people willing to run it.

As for tonight’s voting, our bylaws require we have two voting periods at least a week apart in March at two geographically different locations – this allows those who may not be able to make one location a chance to make the other. We also have absentee balloting. And we always plan to hold the final election period during the last furmeet in March. This allows the greatest number of attendees to be there when candidates are elected. To meet this we have to sometimes work in our plans in non-ideal ways. For what it’s worth I agree, the original plan for an earlier debate would have been nice, but we have to play the hand we’re dealt at this point in time.

#38838 Quote
    Good afternoon,

like clockwork on the eve of initial voting i appear to make an annual post on a long watched website. The anticipation has been building im certain.

1)  Krios- i said so last year and will again, nice to see you back as a candidate. I wish you good luck, and will be pulling for you. You are a terrific person, and a great example of a board candidate.

2) Charles- good luck, you represent the foundation and have vastly more experience than most. Glad to see you representing. I will publically pledge support. You are a terrific person and a great example of a board candidate.

3) Flip – im dissapointed you rescinded your candidacy, not because you have to run or because you dont have the option to “opt out” but rather because of the reasons why. As i explained directly, my first concern is that of the community and having you both administratively representing is a community “win”,  do not roll over, or extinguish your integral initiatives to accomodate a misguided perception check.  Explain it twice, then let it be. if somone is intent on condemming you no amount of accomodation will break those chains. You are a terrific person, and a great example of a board candidate.

4) Jac-, good luck. Nice to see new faces. I can’t vote for you because i dont lean towards the shy type for these types of roles. This is why i like Ridayah for board so much. However, i think you are a fantastic person and a great example of a board camdidate.

5) Unico- good luck.  You are a person, and an example of a board candidate.

I would also like to see others apply in the future who have always been a large part of this group, administratively or not. I reserve a vote for Tek, who could not be nominated for reasons i dont understand.  Maybe its timing, or some technical “glitch”  ill choose to accept this instead of entertaining a more personal explanation.

i hope this fulfills my yearly quota, see you all around im sure

ever fuzzy,

-Cence

#38841 Quote
    I feel a misunderstanding has occurred. My role was not that of a board member scolding Flip for running, but that of a member of the community bringing up a point that a few in the community have voiced.

I merely wanted Flip and Charles to openly define their commitment to the community over voting on something due to the other’s vote.

If Flip wants to step down, that is his choice but that is not the reason for my question.

#38842 Quote

I feel a misunderstanding has occurred. My role was not that of a board member scolding Flip for running, but that of a member of the community bringing up a point that a few in the community have voiced.
    I merely wanted Flip and Charles to openly define their commitment to the community over voting on something due to the other’s vote.
    If Flip wants to step down, that is his choice but that is not the reason for my question.

I don’t believe either of the above mentioned candidates had a reason to feel “scolded” or in any way mistreated, I am relatively new to the community and it was a thought I had had before it was even brought up.

Amethyst

Help me remember that nothing is going to happen to me today that You and I together cannot handle!

#38843 Quote

Good afternoon,
    like clockwork on the eve of initial voting i appear to make an annual post on a long watched website. The anticipation has been building im certain.
    1) Krios- i said so last year and will again, nice to see you back as a candidate. I wish you good luck, and will be pulling for you. You are a terrific person, and a great example of a board candidate.
    2) Charles- good luck, you represent the foundation and have vastly more experience than most. Glad to see you representing. I will publically pledge support. You are a terrific person and a great example of a board candidate.
    3) Flip – im dissapointed you rescinded your candidacy, not because you have to run or because you dont have the option to “opt out” but rather because of the reasons why. As i explained directly, my first concern is that of the community and having you both administratively representing is a community “win”, do not roll over, or extinguish your integral initiatives to accomodate a misguided perception check. Explain it twice, then let it be. if somone is intent on condemming you no amount of accomodation will break those chains. You are a terrific person, and a great example of a board candidate.
    4) Jac-, good luck. Nice to see new faces. I can’t vote for you because i dont lean towards the shy type for these types of roles. This is why i like Ridayah for board so much. However, i think you are a fantastic person and a great example of a board camdidate.
    5) Unico- good luck. You are a person, and an example of a board candidate.
    I would also like to see others apply in the future who have always been a large part of this group, administratively or not. I reserve a vote for Tek, who could not be nominated for reasons i dont understand. Maybe its timing, or some technical “glitch” ill choose to accept this instead of entertaining a more personal explanation.
    i hope this fulfills my yearly quota, see you all around im sure
    ever fuzzy,
    -Cence

I am more interested in voting for candidates (nominees) that have had a presence in the Community. I still do not know if I even know who Krios is. I see Flip occasionally at meets and picnics. I can’t recall ever seeing Charles at Meets or events.

I want to believe whomever is on the board is approachable and being visible at Meets and events is part of that for me.

As for Tek, it is my understanding only people with a minimum number of MNFurs/Furry Migration Volunteer hours (maybe 20) qualify to be a candidate/nominee — he did not meet that requirement.

Amethyst

Help me remember that nothing is going to happen to me today that You and I together cannot handle!

#38844 Quote

I also have to comment on the procedures (as I understand them)
    People can vote this evening at the Meet — before seeing the interaction that will happen at the debate??
    It seems to me that this is not a good idea — I thought this last year and I need to reiterate it again this year!
    There are people who are more comfortable with the written word and with touting all their accomplisments and experience and others who are not as comfortable with this method of introducing themselves. At this point there will be people voting with just the information written here or maybe some one-on-one conversations. Or worse yet, voting for friends — thus making it a popularity vote instead of a vote for the best candidates who have the best interest in the Community (IMHO).
    I do not believe anyone should be allowed to cast a vote until they see the debate (either in person or via social media)! Watching the way the candidates interact at a debate and answer off-the-cuff questions presented to them are integral parts of knowing who to vote for.
    I would definitely like to see this change for the next election!

Wanted to speak up on this – our original intent was to do an earlier debate, however due to the late nature of candidates being nominated and accepting, there was almost no time that we could expect a decent turnout that another event was planned. (Case in point, we had to extend our nomination period a full month when we had none at our normal ‘finish’ time.) It was only through the grace of the Community Meeting runners that we got time and people willing to run it.
    As for tonight’s voting, our bylaws require we have two voting periods at least a week apart in March at two geographically different locations – this allows those who may not be able to make one location a chance to make the other. We also have absentee balloting. And we always plan to hold the final election period during the last furmeet in March. This allows the greatest number of attendees to be there when candidates are elected. To meet this we have to sometimes work in our plans in non-ideal ways. For what it’s worth I agree, the original plan for an earlier debate would have been nice, but we have to play the hand we’re dealt at this point in time.

Will there be absently ballots available — I am never sure if I will make it to Meets and I do know a few others who are out of state or for other reasons can not attend, but qualify to vote.

Amethyst

#38858 Quote
    Amethyst wrote:Will there be absently ballots available — I am never sure if I will make it to Meets and I do know a few others who are out of state or for other reasons can not attend, but qualify to vote.

Absentee ballots and voting is handled by emailing [email protected] and asking to place your vote, but they must be done any time between now and 8pm March 26th!

#38866 Quote
    Amethyst wrote:Will there be absently ballots available — I am never sure if I will make it to Meets and I do know a few others who are out of state or for other reasons can not attend, but qualify to vote.

Absentee ballots and voting is handled by emailing [email protected] and asking to place your vote, but they must be done any time between now and 8pm March 26th!

When is the debate and when will it be available to the Community-at-large?

Amethyst

#38869 Quote

When is the debate and when will it be available to the Community-at-large?

The debate is being held at the next community meeting, at Perkins on the March 26th meet, from 5-7pm. Voting period is from 5-8pm at Perkins in the next room.

#38904 Quote
    Chris has answered the question about balancing our relationship and our community work, so I’ll let that stand as it is.

As to my ability to make meetings, that’s a fair question but honestly, a non-issue.  I’ve worked conventions and similar organizations for a very long time, and have had no trouble getting to where I need to be on my own, or carpooling sometimes.  Before agreeing to run I discussed the meeting schedule and locations with a couple of existing Board members, and I can assure you, I’ll be there.

#39058 Quote
    So, after thought, I have decided to withdraw my candidacy.  I simply don’t have the time or the brainspace to do this right now.  Apologies to those of you who were hoping to see me on the board, but that’s just not in the cards this year.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.