Hey, you should login or register!

Welcome to MNFurs, a local community site where fans of anthropomorphic animals and artists can gather to meet each other locally in the Twin Cities and surrounding area; forming friendships, meeting new people, educate others, and help out the local community. To access chat, forums, and the additional features of this site you must register for a free account or log in.

Fursuit Romp at Mill Ruins Park – March 30th, 2013

Home Forums Events Fursuit Romp at Mill Ruins Park – March 30th, 2013

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Drake- I should have photography handled unless another photographer wants to show up and take other angles.  I’d say I’ll be focusing enough on taking photos having you dedicated more as a dedicated handler would be beneficial.

-- MNFurs Photography Head--

Want a Photographer at an event? Want to help out with Photography at an event? PM me!

#9993 Quote

@Jacek said:

Count me in! Do we know the laws for the area offhand? I know some areas get really stingy on the “nothing can cover your face/identity ” thing that is law in some areas. Just want to make sure, but yes, I am in!

Well, there is a mask law for the state of Minnesota but it has provisions for people wearing costumes for “amusement or entertainment”. Basically, considering we’ll be in a public / common area we should be fine as long as we don’t give somebody a reason to have a problem with us. Birk and I have suited in parks before with no issue, as has Aerak, so hopefully that holds true here.

@Drake M. said:

Ringer, what is the deadline for members to RSVP?  A member inquired about this at the community meeting.

~ Drake M.

There’s no deadline, so if someone is on the fence and decides to attend that’s fine! I’m mostly doing it to get an idea of the suiter:handler ratio and to give the park an eventual heads-up.

@Yarrick said:

Sign me up as a Photographer/handler.  I’m okay talking to the public but I tend to go with answers that lack information (instead of “saying too much”). 

Great. Dealing with pedestrians shouldn’t be an issue as it will likely mostly be photo requests or informal questions.

I would expect that if we run into an issue with authorities it will hopefully just be a matter of explaining (concisely and courteously) that we’re there strictly for recreation and not for commercial/fund-raising/advertising purposes (which would usually require a permit AFAIK). Of course if this happens it won’t be strictly on the handlers’ shoulders but it’s good advice.

#9994 Quote
    Consider me attending Ringer and sounds good Yarrick. 

~ Drake M.

T H €  B | Z   F [] X

RETIRING JUNE 2024

MNFurs Events Department Co-Head - Events are the main driving factors of the organization.  Have an event you want brought to life?  Let us know!

MNFurs Photography Department Staff - Photography and capturing moments is what we do at our events for our community.  Let's chat about your photography needs!

Midwinter Frolic Staff ~ Photography - Midwinter Frolic is a fun winter camping event down at Whitewater State Park.  Attending and have some photography ideas?  Let's chat sometime!

Furry Migration Staff ~ Photography - A will be a wandering staff photographer at FM this year.  Want a photo or two or more?  I'll be around!

MNFurs ~ 501(c3) Non-Profit Organization

#10010 Quote
    The intent is to be there with my camera.
    #10011 Quote
    I think I’m still good to come that day!

#10013 Quote
    Probably a very dumb question here, but is a fursuit actually required to attend this “Romp”?  This is the first furry meet up I could actually attend since Mill Ruins Park is right by my bus route but I don’t have any type of fursuit to wear.  :c
    #10014 Quote
    I have to back out now.  Family plans over that weekend now.  I hope the event goes well

T H €  B | Z   F [] X

RETIRING JUNE 2024

MNFurs Events Department Co-Head - Events are the main driving factors of the organization.  Have an event you want brought to life?  Let us know!

MNFurs Photography Department Staff - Photography and capturing moments is what we do at our events for our community.  Let's chat about your photography needs!

Midwinter Frolic Staff ~ Photography - Midwinter Frolic is a fun winter camping event down at Whitewater State Park.  Attending and have some photography ideas?  Let's chat sometime!

Furry Migration Staff ~ Photography - A will be a wandering staff photographer at FM this year.  Want a photo or two or more?  I'll be around!

MNFurs ~ 501(c3) Non-Profit Organization

#10015 Quote

@ℳøuring said:

The intent is to be there with my camera.

Got it, thanks!

@Bluefire said:

I think I’m still good to come that day!

#10022 Quote
    What would a handler have to do exactly?
    #10026 Quote

@Vega said:

What would a handler have to do exactly?

Handler necessities:
    1. make suiters aware of situations which require their attention
    2. be friendly and polite to passers-by and paint the group in a positive light

Specific things handlers can do:
    – spot obstacles, especially things like curbs or stairs so we don’t fall over (a simple heads-up is usually enough)
    – keep an eye out for people wanting photo ops so we don’t walk right past them
    – keep an eye out for people who may be bothered by us so we can try to give them space
    – keep an eye out for people who are being idiots (less likely)
    – answer questions about the group from passers-by
    – take photos and/or video
    – carry water (though that tends to be more of an issue in warm weather)

Hope that helps. Feel free to add anything I may have missed.

#10027 Quote
    I’d like to have dinner w you ringer, but I don’t think I want to go romping around in public, especially if it turns out to be a ghetto area…or we run into people…who don’t like us lol.
    #10028 Quote

@Pepper said:

I’d like to have dinner w you ringer, but I don’t think I want to go romping around in public, especially if it turns out to be a ghetto area…or we run into people…who don’t like us lol.

Well, we’ll be in the Mill District of Minneapolis, which is a mix of historic/arty places, parks/paths, and really nice condos. It doesn’t get much less ghetto than that.

I can understand your concerns about being out there in suit in an “unofficial” capacity. With more than a couple suiters and enough handlers I don’t worry about trouble from bystanders. There’s always a risk of having to talk to an authority figure but even then the worst-case scenario is that we have to leave.

Let me know what you decide – see you at dinner either way Smile

#10039 Quote
    I’m new, and I live about two blocks from the Mill Ruins! I’d love to come, not as a suiter, but just as a friendly first-timer. ouo
    #10040 Quote

@Whaleosaur said:

I’m new, and I live about two blocks from the Mill Ruins! I’d love to come, not as a suiter, but just as a friendly first-timer. ouo

I’ll add you to the handler list – that’d be great!

#10048 Quote

@Not a Zen said:
    Would love to attend and am interested.  As long as I can find transit from someone, I’d be there.

If you live close enough, there are transit routes that go to that general area, and can take you from downtown to the bi-weekly meet-up. The only problem is getting a ride home at the end of the Perkin’s event.

Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Till your good is better, and your better is the best.

Poetry is power.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX

The RSVP Plus One is for one-time guests or guardians of the MNFurs member going to event.

If the Plus One is for an MNFurs member, they need to RSVP themselves.